BoTM May 13- Kona vs GT vs Specialized Special - Nominations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: BoTM May 13- Kona vs GT vs Specialized Special - Nominat

al-onestare":1emp394d said:
ameybrook":1emp394d said:
al-onestare":1emp394d said:
The reason I ask is that technically, we could have nominations from other museums of incredibly rare, one-off, bespoke, or totally original, or never seen before machines that whilst are truely of wonder and awe, could blitz us, the lowly average retrobikers bikes out of the water..

Maybe step up your game so you could compete?

Thanks for your insight. Extremely valuable. Any other pearls of wisdom?

Well, its true. Ameybrook is a private 'collector' like most everyone else here. He's a BOTM and BOTY winner. He worked hard to find and rebuild what he has and earned those wins.
To my knowledge, he's not a super rich guy buying the over-restored finished product done by someone else. You want to know how he did it? He stepped up his game.

I love seeing rare and important bikes being entered here it not only raises their profile which is important to us too, but it gives us something great to look and does make others raise their game - there have been many stunning bike rebuilds on here and not just from the "pros" (pros being normal people that decide to try make a living out of it or simply do it through love of the sport). As an example,the most memorable rebuild I remember from the years of BOTM isn't from a pro, but is from someone that raised the game way beyond most of us, Sinnerman's Dave Lloyd. The pros enter, sometimes they win, sometimes they don't but usually, and what is important, we see great bikes and normally the best bikes are in the top 3.

......why did I not win in my 2 or 3 attempts at bike of the month? - I really didn't raise my game enough.

Canuck":252kqaa6 said:
rumpfy":252kqaa6 said:
Ameybrook is a private 'collector'

There's the difference the way I see it ;)

Right. When you only own like 5 bikes, can you still be considered a collector?

Its not that complicated. Sell 8 lame Konas to afford one cool Merlin (or Pace to keep it RBUK friendly). Take a nice driveside photo. Set up a bunch of sock puppet accounts and you're ballin' in BOTM.

ameybrook":34iobdv4 said:
Sell 8 lame Konas

Careful Amey, let's keep this friendly on all level's :cool:

Key word was 'private', not collector

Always good to have a little debate on BoTM.

We've not said either way about shops or museums entering bikes. Can't see it being an issue, if it becomes one we'll think again. At the end of the day although the Overend Specialized would surely seem the bike with the most history think it is far from being a shoe in for the top spot. Especially with some sweet Lavadome action in the nominations.

Seem to recall ameybrook having a clean Overend replica. See it never won BoTM but did you get round to entering it?

I can't remember. Maybe?

RE: The museum issue. Someone still owns it regardless of where the bike is displayed. SFO didn't own the 20 or so bikes it displayed in November and I can only assume the owner of TPC owns the Ned bike

rumpfy":1d0437dp said:
Well, its true. Ameybrook is a private 'collector' like most everyone else here. He's a BOTM and BOTY winner. He worked hard to find and rebuild what he has and earned those wins.
To my knowledge, he's not a super rich guy buying the over-restored finished product done by someone else. You want to know how he did it? He stepped up his game.

Did either of you read my post? Its about sole ownership ie: you, me, him other there vs. organisations. The scenario uses rarity and other factors as an example and neither are exclusive to either party but one could say organisations have more of an advantage. How would we feel if we saw more museums, stores or even god forbid manufacturers entering this competition? Would that represent a fair playing field or be in the spirit of the competition?

ameybrook":82k0oe1l said:
Canuck":82k0oe1l said:
rumpfy":82k0oe1l said:
Ameybrook is a private 'collector'

There's the difference the way I see it ;)

Right. When you only own like 5 bikes, can you still be considered a collector?

Its not that complicated. Sell 8 lame Konas to afford one cool Merlin (or Pace to keep it RBUK friendly). Take a nice driveside photo. Set up a bunch of sock puppet accounts and you're ballin' in BOTM.

Wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back