BoTM June 2014 - Nominations Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since our Yo Eddy was booted for being late to the party a couple months ago we will officially entering it this month for the first time.

The Pro's Closet's 1992 Fat Chance Yo Eddy

Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&p=2138841#p2138841

fatchancepete-1.jpg

photo3.jpg

Mike the bonty is a peach.

Clannagh do you have a build thread? Not that retro to be honest but I admire the engineering. Would be keen to see more showing how you did it.

Can we enter two bikes?
Here's my other Trek Y33 used regular so not always in mint condition. Not much remains from the original bike only the front carbon frame. Rear URT is a rare polished Gary Fisher item, full XTR groupset, Bontrager XXX components, SID's. Weight is around 22lbs depending on wheels and tyres. Very lightweight Ive been using my Trek YSL for a couple of weeks so this has been left unused, having just been out on it this morning i'd almost forgotten just how fast and smooth it rides. I think this will become my trail and commuter bike and keep the other for more hardcore off road use :D
I spent around two years building this bike scouring ebay buying selling trading up etc.
This bike has great personal value just love it.

DSC_0021 by Clannagh, on Flickr

IMG_2168 by Clannagh, on Flickr

coomber":5m6jxqb8 said:
Mike the bonty is a peach.
Clannagh do you have a build thread? Not that retro to be honest but I admire the engineering. Would be keen to see more showing how you did it.

Ive added a build link at the bottom, I could do with updating some of the pics but it will give you can idea. Also a Youtube link includes rare footage of me falling off

Hi I understand what your saying. I guess my YSL is more of a Hot Rod that true retro build. I love mashing things up though, I remember these bikes when they first came out. I was at design college studying product design and was just blown away by them, they won an award and ended up in the Industrial design museum London.
Way out of my price range at the time, things move on and id forgotten all about them. Getting back into bikes a few years ago I had my new shop bought bike stolen so with the insurance money started to look around for something different and stumbled on an advert for a Trek Y33 it looked just as stunning now as it always did. Thats were it all started really.
Ive always made things, adapted improved altered. its a bloody nightmare at times even our hoover has been modified!.
I built my first Y33 to be as light as possible it was around 26lbs when bought with mostly retro alloy components replacing piece by piece with carbon I eventually got it down to 22lbs, it could have gone lighter but things can start to get flimsy. Riding out on some rocky downhill sections really showed up its limits against more modern bikes everyone else was cruising across rocks on 35º-40º downhill sections and I was hanging on for dear life thinking Im going straight over the bars any minute now! People just love the bike though it gets so many admiring glances and is always a talking point most not in the bike world just assume its brand new not 16year old.
I had a Trek YSL200 frame hanging in the garage rather tatty and not much loved so I thought why not modernise it rather than build another retro? 150mm travel tapered steerer suspension, slacken the steering angle, add modern components, sort out the rear URT issues. In short build it into something that can beat the new stuff, thats were it all started really. Parked up next to all the modern bikes its this one that gets talked about, they just don't know what it is most haven't a clue about a Y frame bike. Its fairly short just a touch shorted than my Y33 so is very manoeuvrable and changes direction fast, 330mm BB clearance so loads of ground clearance.
Im using a 2x9 set up at present with calculated ratios to get me up the steepest hill I will ever encounter and also won't spin out backdown again. Huge 203mm front disc, Top of the range rear shox and Worldcup carbon forks up front, 720mm carbon Renthal bars. Component wise its up there with the best of new stuff and rides so so well. Weight at present is just over 25lbs it'll never be weight weenie material but with lighter saddle change of wheels etc I reckon it will come down to mid 24lbs so it lighter than most modern bikes unless your going to spend over £2k to £2.5k+
It does have loads of F*** *ff factor too which is fun theres nothing better than blazing past someone on my 15year old bike, if only I was younger and fitter :D :roll:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/94740449@ ... 768945575/

http://youtu.be/FXqcL8Er1EU

Re:

Some cracking bikes so far but I'll have a go anyway.

Raidan73's 1990 Kona Titanium/Merlin Mountain

Build thread here viewtopic.php?f=6&t=280832

Just for the record, the misaligned valve cap was done to suit the catalogue image ;)

Re: Re:

Thats very nice, looks like you've got huge rake on your front forks must be bullet straight at speed :D

Wow, some good stuff this month, but a special piece of special is that serrota-flex.
Rocking horse machine. Sweet build.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back