BotM July 2019 - nominations thread

I think I'm gonna vote for mojo-ti's replacement entry not becasue it's gorgeous but becasue there needs to be an amnesty against this archaic rule of only being able to enter a bike once in a normal month and once in a special month.

This forum NEEEEEEEEEDDDDSSS some life injected into it FFS.

There's a ton of stunning bikes that, in my opinion, ought to have won the coveted BoTM badge, but for whatever reason (sometimes a stupid one) they were outvoted, and should be allowed to run again.

FTR.

regan_ev":390fdn7k said:
I think I'm gonna vote for mojo-ti's replacement entry not becasue it's gorgeous but becasue there needs to be an amnesty against this archaic rule of only being able to enter a bike once in a normal month and once in a special month.

This forum NEEEEEEEEEDDDDSSS some life injected into it FFS.

There's a ton of stunning bikes that, in my opinion, ought to have won the coveted BoTM badge, but for whatever reason (sometimes a stupid one) they were outvoted, and should be allowed to run again.

FTR.

:facepalm:

Im glad your voting for the replacement entry, had the rule not been in place you might never have got to see it at all. NOW there is even a thread for you to read.

Keep the rules, encourage new bikes and build threads, not the same entries multiple times, how could this possibly be any benefit. It would do the total opposite to injecting new life into the site.... :facepalm:

True, and I commend you for your diligence and pulling up the offending entry.

I just think that someone who etered a bike twice ten years ago, should be allowed to enter it again.

This rule needs to be revised.

I've discussed this on here before, and the overall consensus was that as it currently stands, it's almost impossible to police the rule. Only stand-out bikes like a pink Merlin and someone such as yourself, who not only remembers it but can be arsed to dig out and link its former entry, are likely to be 'caught' anyway.

regan_ev":lqdquyz6 said:
True, and I commend you for your diligence and pulling up the offending entry.

I just think that someone who etered a bike twice ten years ago, should be allowed to enter it again.

This rule needs to be revised.

I've discussed this on here before, and the overall consensus was that as it currently stands, it's almost impossible to police the rule. Only stand-out bikes like a pink Merlin and someone such as yourself, who not only remembers it but can be arsed to dig out and link its former entry, are likely to be 'caught' anyway.

The BOTM comp is the only one like it I know off.

It doesn't need policing, it shouldn't even need enforcing, the rules just need to be able to be accessed a little better.

Whether it was 3 years ago like the pink Merlin, or History mans Triggers Broom that's had more outings than my sex life, if you have been here for years play by the rules. The site is what 20 years old now, and they aren't archaic rules, every competition has rules, this one isn't any different, without them, we would have the same dross every month, bikes with no pedals/chains/saddles/half built bikes etc.

sinnerman":249x6opu said:
...without [these rules], we would have the same dross every month, bikes with no pedals/chains/saddles/half built bikes etc.
Absolute nonsense! How ridiculous of you to suggest a bike could be entered only half built. And as for "the same dross", well, there's pretty much a truckful of dross being entered month in, month out, because there's no competition from 'proper' builds, because they've been entered before and aren't able to be entered again.

And of course it needs policing. Just as you've done today. Probably because mojo-ti himself even forgot he'd entered it before.

It's a crazy rule for it to be a forever.

But if I buy that pink Merlin off him, then I can enter it. So why shouldn't he be allowed to enter it again?

Problem this forum has is, not that John is too busy and perhaps too tired of having anything to do with it but, that there's no committee or a board of directors that can entertain suggestions or ideas and effect changes to keep things interesting. Meh.

regan_ev":2w0kif81 said:
sinnerman":2w0kif81 said:
...without [these rules], we would have the same dross every month, bikes with no pedals/chains/saddles/half built bikes etc.
Absolute nonsense! How ridiculous of you to suggest a bike could be entered only half built. And as for "the same dross", well, there's pretty much a truckful of dross being entered month in, month out, because there's no competition from 'proper' builds, because they've been entered before and aren't able to be entered again.

And of course it needs policing. Just as you've done today. Probably because mojo-ti himself even forgot he'd entered it before.

It's a crazy rule for it to be a forever.

But if I buy that pink Merlin off him, then I can enter it. So why shouldn't he be allowed to enter it again?

Problem this forum has is, not that John is too busy and perhaps too tired of having anything to do with it but, that there's no committee or a board of directors that can entertain suggestions or ideas and effect changes to keep things interesting. Meh.

Regan, Its NOT nonsense its FACT.

MAY BOTM 2019

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=399048

A bike entered Half Built.

Like I said, a VERY slippery Slope.

Enough Said.

All bikes get the opportunity to be entered twice under the same ownership, one normal and one special month, unless they win on their first outing. If a bike changes hands it doesn't automatically become eligible to be entered again; that's at the judges discretion. I would normal expect a significant rebuild to make it eligible.
I don't really see a massive problem with the rules and can't see how letting people continually re-enter would improve anything particularly. I'm not saying that things couldn't possibly be improved on though.

I don't have the best memory but don't think I'd forget that I'd entered a bike. I'd put it down to forgetting, or not ever knowing, the rules in the first place. I've posted the rules as an 'announcement' at the top of the mtb chat forum and will post a link to them in every nominations thread from now on.

regan_ev":11ha1yln said:
Had enough of this place and all the bull that goes with it.

Its not bull, if two opinions aren't the same.

Its just a difference of opinion.

regan_ev":1srqlavn said:
Had enough of this place and all the bull that goes with it.

Not sure what I said that upset you Reg?

Back