BotM February 2020 nominations - Blue Collar Special

regan_ev":2v7f3rlo said:
Or maybe just list it as “‘Bring out yer tat’ month”

What was the real build cost of your BOTM win....?

Circa £10,000 Stirling....?

sinnerman":pa1nyqme said:
regan_ev":pa1nyqme said:

It’s irrelevant what I spent because I did it to a certain spec and look.

As for Adrian having a thankless job, again, not so. But just take any and all subjectivity out of a category and we’ll all know where we stand. As in “pre 88” or “rigid bikes only” or “no tan wall tyres”.

IMHO M-Power and Baulz summed it up perfectly in their posts on Pg. 5. Even THM has a point with his MF although I’m sad to say I didn’t see the photo before he withdrew it.

Last point, reiterated: NO SUBJECTIVITY, please, whatever the actual or perceived costs. :rolleyes:

regan_ev":2uzosr7e said:
sinnerman":2uzosr7e said:
regan_ev":2uzosr7e said:

It’s irrelevant what I spent because I did it to a certain spec and look.

As for Adrian having a thankless job, again, not so. But just take any and all subjectivity out of a category and we’ll all know where we stand. As in “pre 88” or “rigid bikes only” or “no tan wall tyres”.

IMHO M-Power and Baulz summed it up perfectly in their posts on Pg. 5. Even THM has a point with his MF although I’m sad to say I didn’t see the photo before he withdrew it.

Last point, reiterated: NO SUBJECTIVITY, please, whatever the actual or perceived costs. :rolleyes:

What an odd response, your own post was subjective, the build cost of a bike, did come into question "from" your own post, you are a botm winner with a high value item, you did suggest this months botm is for mere TAT only.

I ask you, Why cant a well kept, loved, big brand name, well presented retro mountain bike NOT be worthy....?

Your posts have baffled me, your response even more so.

Re:

There must be a Loved, Kona, Marin, Orange, Specialized, G.T, Carrera, Trek, Univega, etc etc etc etc, in every bodies shed or garage, that can be entered, misunderstood this month maybe, BUT there could be loads of entries.......10s of millions of these bikes got sold in the time we are talking of. They haven't all been subject to scrap, broke for its XT rear mech, split for profit, etc im sure. ;)

Come on fellas, got to be in it to win it....!

Its doesnt have to be Boutique, Mythical, Rare, or even top of the range....!

regan_ev":21dqa021 said:

Or go to a charity shop, put £ to a good cause, get scrubbing and have some fun. You could buy another BOTM winner. :mrgreen:

The reason why this theme doesn’t really work is that what you spend on a bike doesn’t have much to do with background or class. It’s more about how much of a bike nerd you are.

When I was growing up (in a distinctly “white collar” suburb of London) in the late 80s early 90s, MTB was in its infancy but it was definitely cool, and very much an “aspirational” thing. Owning any kind of “proper” MTB came with status. Poor kids had hand me down grifters and bombers or Halfords type BSOs. Round my way owning a brand new Raleigh maverick or mustang was enough to set you aside from your peers, and the only kid I knew who was rich enough to be bought a (low end) trek new was descended from aristocracy.

For me, the ultimate marker of a bike’s was poshness was shimano rather than huret gears... even low end SIS was impressive, and anything with cantis was ”proper”. Deore (any kind) was seriously exotic.

The thing is, ”normal people” don’t really spend that much on bikes, only bike nerds and racers, and if you’re one of those it doesn’t matter whether you’re a bricklayer or an accountant, you’ll find the money, and at the end of the day it’s all cheap compared to what your house/car/bills are...

One point I would like to make; I appreciate the title ‘blue collar special’ is a little vague and certainly open to debate. I did however try and clarify the remit with examples, in the opening post, of what bikes I deemed acceptable/unacceptable in this instance.
I appreciate that, with theme months especially, you can’t please all of the people all of the time. If, for example, all my bikes were £3000+ garage queens then this month wouldn’t be for me. I probably wouldn’t look twice at it and certainly wouldn’t bother commenting. A few times a year I try and make the competition a little different, just for a change. If the general consensus is that I shouldn’t bother then so be it.

As someone who always cast's my eye over the bikes in the factory bike shelter I think I know exactly what you mean. Good bit of fun no-one is paying you to provide. Thankyou!!

FWIW I fully approve of the spirit of the theme... But I can also see why it’s sparked debate. I’m enjoying the entries though.

Here, have another entry, my “survivor” trekker in the kitchen. Ex Coomber of this parish, it is original apart from what it’s needed to keep it riding sweet, and it’s had sensible functional replacement of parts rather than period correct/nos. It still gets ridden in anger (so much so that I’m still recovering from the injury). Now fitted with cheap Kenda tyres for added blue collar authenticity. Hope they’re not as slippy in the wet as the Splashbacks were...

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=405407&start=20

Attachments

• 9C93B68B-CD39-4AC2-B202-2180FE06ED65.jpeg
    9C93B68B-CD39-4AC2-B202-2180FE06ED65.jpeg
    55.3 KB · Views: 253
  • 9791E18F-60CD-4E7A-BB47-38F84B4A2F63.jpeg
    9791E18F-60CD-4E7A-BB47-38F84B4A2F63.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 253
Back