Bontrger Race project (Updated Pictures page 2)

UPDATE!

Got the new Eno rear wheel. It fits the bike wonderfully.

3748549864_bae7759580.jpg

3748550206_c57ef7af5f.jpg

On a whim I bought a Girvin Vector fork. I rigged it to fit and installed it tonight. By rig I mean that the steerer is 1" until you get to the bottom race area which is designed for a 1 1/8" race. It came with an adapter for the top race too. From talking with the guy who sold it to me he said that these forks were all like this. Weird. In any case I was able to install a 1" race on the area above the larger area at the bottom of the steerer. It when on fine and seems like it will hold without issue. Time will tell. In the mean while, it looks good!

(I removed the decals because they were beat to all hell. Going to order some new ones soon.)

3770768417_a3de237310.jpg

3771570252_6758d43584.jpg
3770768791_441198382f.jpg

Lovely bike

Not a massive fan of the forks, think they slightly spoil the simplicity/lines of that build

AtomicAtom":11kwfv8l said:
UPDATE!

Got the new Eno rear wheel. It fits the bike wonderfully.

3748549864_bae7759580.jpg

3748550206_c57ef7af5f.jpg

That looks perfect on the bonty...almost makes one want to shave off the derailleur hanger.

Bontis

I've got one too. They do ride sweet. Cheers for saying its called a Bontrager Race. I couldn't remember the name, I've got an inherited frame and if you think the decals on yours are a bit marked mines got none! There's only the B on the head tube. It's black,; like it like that, it don't stand out. secret. 17" frame, proper Bonti 70mm stem, old 8sp XT gears and crank, Vs, Slighty later, but early Trek Bontrager Wheels (Mustangs- is that their name? Radial front lacing, XT hubs) light flat bars, twist grip shifters, SPDs, Conti or Fire tyres. (Please excuse the fitment of later bits, I've only just got hold of all this Retro bike stuff) Oh yeah, 1" steerer Judy DH forks. DH but barely more than 2" of travel! Them were the days... I'll try to bore you no more but there are local trails which seem pointless on my other bikes (traily full susser and narly hard tail-modern), but on the Bonti... Less weight, narrow bars, snakey but acurate handling; it suddenly comes alive. Swervey single track almost steered through the pedals with loose hands on the bars and saddle under your guts. Lovely. It just adds to my enjoyable training/exercise routes. Well done Keith.

I recently sold my Bontrager Race to my friend who bought m Voodoo Bizango. He really wanted a single speed set up and he really wanted a Bontrager. I haven't ridden it in a while and it was witting as a frame in a pile of frames. So I put it together and made the wife happy to see another bike leave the apartment ;) . Here is how it left me.

Judy XC
CK 2Nut headset, gold with silver 2nut
Salsa 150mm stem
Bontrager/Titec bar
Avid SD 2.0 levers
Shimano LX cantis
Race Face post
Coda M900 saddle
XT crank
Salsa rings and bashgaurd
White Industries front hub on Mavic 217
Paul single speed rear on Mavic 138 (he has the matching front already)
Surly Singulator
new Michelin Wild Grippers

5066196579_0302e02bcd_b.jpg

5066808146_72ab50897e_z.jpg

5066808904_f73dd43a24_z.jpg

:cool: cool

It's like a family reunion photo of many bike related items that sat in my apartment over the better part of two years :LOL:

AtomicAtom":i3344j8m said:
Heh, I think there are three different deals at least in there Rob, I'll have to make a thread for the Marin.

True. Yes, have you added your own personal touch to it? How's it riding?

Back