Bmx cranksies on mountain biksies

So...

Got in touch with live support at sourcebmx.. Fella goes: you can get any profile crankset here with a 6 inch spindle, free of charge, just let us know. Hell yeah me thinks, he sends me the bb I need as well, I add it all up and its not so bad! Happy days

*Dramatic foreboding ambient music starts playing*

I change the currency from gbp to DKK.. Mind you the website still said EU while the currency was gbp, but as I changed the currency, all the products disappeared. And upon searching for them on the updated page, I found none of them. I go, well, it seems that you only have the bb and stuff on the UK site, he goes oh yes sorry, hope that's not too much of an inconvenience, but it sure is as it means I can only get the bb from the two main forbidden lands of customs papers. UK or US

Ugh.

Oh and not to add that if you actually WANTED to buy from the UK warehouse on sourcebmx they don't allow that if you're not from the UK or those strange channel islands you have some strange relationship with

The joys of Brexit there! You think that's bad tho, I have a German-market vehicle (cause LHD) in the UK currently that obviously uses some parts that need to come from the EU, and I'm also bringing my truck over from the US so yeah, fun times to be had with customs 🤣

Someone brought up the question why not use DH-intended BB and cranks. I might have missed your answer there - are you focusing on the Profile etc. bits just for their looks on your bike? Like, the common DH stuff just don't flow with it?

The joys of Brexit there! You think that's bad tho, I have a German-market vehicle (cause LHD) in the UK currently that obviously uses some parts that need to come from the EU, and I'm also bringing my truck over from the US so yeah, fun times to be had with customs 🤣

Someone brought up the question why not use DH-intended BB and cranks. I might have missed your answer there - are you focusing on the Profile etc. bits just for their looks on your bike? Like, the common DH stuff just don't flow with it?
Hey Rob.

Doesn't sound fun about importing the bits and bobs and I can only imagine how dear the truck from the US is going to get.

In regards to the cranks, I think it boils down to the fact that I've wanted profile cranks for years. I like the look of them, I like the fact that they are not aluminium and I suppose it is the special factor at the end of the day. This build was meant to be a bit different, using mx bars, bmx stems as I like the look of the stems and I enjoy the thin tubes and stiffness of mx bars. I suppose I just wanted to play around with as many different components as possible, and I also like the easily adjustable chainlines of bmx cranks and their sprockets look fantastic.

DH specific cranks aren't really a topic I'm familiar with, any recommendations?

Look into "cinch" or direct-mount type cranks. They use a large-spline interface to attach a single chainring to the right crank arm, and because the connection is done around the axle they allow use of rings with less than 30 teeth should you need that (30t is the bare minimum for the older style if cranks that use 4 bolts 104mm apart). Added benefit in your case would be the lack of any bolts on the chainring, so you'll get that BMX- like looks.

Here's a good example (expensive but you get the idea at least) :

Bottom bracket to be used is your choice, as long as it's a name brand and compatible with the cranks I doubt you'll be disappointed in its fitment or performance.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Yeah right mate maybe when I win the lottery 🤣 🍺

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
So we may not be going with bmx cranks until stupid sourcebmx starts stocking actual good bits not just in the forbidden land of the United Kingdom.

Until then...
I have decided that I will probably put on a set of Box Five square taper cranksies...

7f72cd31-d07a-4f03-930d-c094c0d1f9bd.e6a3e510497d5cbef4198dd361aa7047.jpeg

Back