Bmx cranksies on mountain biksies

Imlach

98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Soooo I want to put bmx cranks on my new surly karate monkey as I've always loved the sturdy cromo cranks of the bmx culture.

But seeing as I've got a bike with a fairly wide chainstay I'm worried about the arms not being able to clear the chainstay. I've researched and concluded that the ordinary 5 inch something spindles are too short, meaning I'll probably have to spend big money on a profile spindle that goes up to 6 inches. Now before I drop good money on such a setup I am in need of some reassurance...

How can I somehow measure if a 6 inch spindle will be enough to get the cranks to clear the chainstay? The bb shell is 73mm. How far unto the spindle should bmx cranks usually go? Anyone know of a company that makes 6 inch and longer spindles cheaper than profile?

I am intending to get a euro bb, the 6 inch spindle and a decent set of 3 piece cranks.

Please no discouraging words or you will drive me into a vile cycle of binge drinking to detach from a painful reality in which you are trying to get me to buy cranks that are meant for the type of bike I ride

Seems that the mighty clever folk at profile recommend the 6 inch, specifying that the larger one is for big dh bikes...... Might give this a go 🍻🍺

Yes I've got two options now

Land of Amerikay shopping, buy the profile cranksies and all the gear there, bb, spider, ye name it. Will cost me about 400 bucks with shipping... Nevermjnd the nasty import fees because we've yet to break down the concept of countries and live in a truly free bike freestate in which goods can flow as freely as this next beer I'm pouring down my neck

Other option is more fun because its not same old boring look I bought me a profile crankset setup for mtb... It's too easy in't it?

Option 2 is buying from the lovely European warehouse of sourcebmx and get: 6 inch spindle from old timey profile and a euro bb from mission bmx, then get a set of 48 spline kinks cranksies and a nice 32 t sprocket, all for less dough than the profiles. And it's Europe.

What shall I do?
Screenshot_20220608-014056_Chrome.jpg

Back