Bike lights/Headlights on ebay

Lucky you.
But you didn't know until you'd dismantled them.
There is a small but significant amount of utter junk being shifted over eBay.

It's the difference between unbranded/pattern kit and fakes.
Many you can't tell the difference until it either explodes, or you dismantle it.

I have had two chargers go bang. Both eBay knock offs for apple devices. Luckily neither were near anything combustible at the time. Got away with a scorched wall.

Never again.

And fwiw, a lot of the branded stuff is fake as well. (Or farmed out from tier one suppliers, to the cheapest tier 2 they can find, so genuine, but rubbish, and possibly not legal)
A mate had a spare/replacement charger from a reputable UK supplier (for his bike lights) when it destroyed the battery the manufacturer wasn't interested initially as the charger was actually fake. Despite being in the "right" packaging and from the right retailer.

The retailer no longer stocks that brand. (Mate got a new light in the end too)

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

I've had 2 B&Q car socket chargers melt. Yes cheap but they where fused. Still quess they got warm and the cheap plastic buckled and tainted.

The plugtop chargers I find the worst are when they rip the lid off when they are still in the socket, have a load of them at work and 'branded too' typical 5V USB charger circuit board setup converted to a NiMH cell charger.

Re:

I went for these "cheap" ones about 2 years ago and have probably used them a couple of 100 times with no issue

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261396860491? ... EBIDX%3AIT

...I have put the battery in a ziplock bag to water resist it and its worked so far. The charger has never got hot even when I have left it on overnight! It gives a great light and is pretty much too bright for on road use on its brightest setting! Lasts about 2 hours on brightest setting and 3 hours+ on the dimmer setting. I always ride with a 2nd light on at all times just in case one fails anyway...

...just my input :D

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I bought one of these

$_12.JPG

fastened on me lid to compliment my Betty 7 on my bars... its worked fine and is darn bright only on one LED
I wouldn't trust the charger tho ... so its only charging when I'm in and around or placed away from combustibles :idea:

At £20, if you smash it on a branch or possible heavy crash, its a shoulder shrug rather than a major downer of picking up your wrecked Lupine!!

Bloody bargain if you ask me, don't be so snobby... :twisted:

Back