Cycles Wonder - St Etienne. (Pic heavy)

Sir Neil d'Menture

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Does anyone know anything about this firm?
Long story short...BIL has bought a place in France. In an outhouse is a Wonder bike, in "distressed" condition.
It obviously hasn't been ridden for a while although the bearings are still smooth and free.
It has two brakes and the rear wheel is a single free, not fixed. However there is something odd with the wheels. They are definitely rod brake rims but being ridden with rim brakes. Wear on the brake blocks shows that it has been ridden for some time like this.

Tinterweb throws up little snippets about this firm but nothing of great note.
There are three possible courses of action here...
1) Clean and tidy it and use it as a hack bike in rural France.
2) Spend some time, effort and money to totally refurbish and rebuild it, always assuming that appropriate parts can be sourced.
3) Take it to the tip!

There is no number under the BB shell and the simple lugs may indicate a relatively low end bike.
Pedals and Chainwheel appear to be in-house as they sport the "W" logo. Brakes are Mafac Racer which could well be a later addition.
There is a grease port, but no nipple. Maybe this was an oil port that has lost its lid??
Saddle is by Brown but is probably beyond use.
Lots of rust and being 21" is far too small for me so maybe I won't become involved.

Does anyone know anything about these bikes and can you throw any light on the age, history and quality of the bike?
IMG_1993.JPG IMG_1996.JPG IMG_2001.JPG IMG_2031.jpg IMG_2032.jpg IMG_2034.jpg IMG_2036.jpg IMG_2037.jpg IMG_2038.jpg IMG_2030.jpg

🤔 I recognise some of this .... and have a bit of experience with barn finds and old French bikes.

For the moment, I think the base frame set, wheels, saddle, and chainset may be original. Could be from 1920s or about. The rest are upgrades from about the 60s or 70s. Please don't take it to the tip, at least for now. Think those tyres are Michelin World Tour, and you should be able to get a wheel size from them.

The rims are a very French thing https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads/french-barn-find-buckets-of-patina.406532/post-2993376 my recommendation would be to take your time for the moment, give it a dust off and see what you have. I'll be glad to help what I can.

Wow @Woz
That's really useful.
I guessed that quite a bit was 1960 or so but never thought it would be that old.
As a knee jerk reaction is it worth working on, and are period correct gear items still available?
I like tinkering but can't resist getting old bikes back into pristine condition!!@
Your thread is 23 pages long so I'll read that in full tomorrow...Friday night is wine night🍷🍷🍷.

One last question. What do you know about the saddle? I'm assuming it is beyond use, but Brown is not a name I know.

Just a quick look, here is a Wonder (or x2) barn find dated 1925 - 1935 according to a family member. Head badge is the same, saddle is the same, and first or second generation Bowden brakes which make more sense to me judging by the rest.

https://forum.tontonvelo.com/viewtopic.php?t=18682

It's really hard to advise, but I would recommend to go a little easy, try to do a bit of research before making any moves.

.... wine is good :)

Just a quick look, here is a Wonder (or x2) barn find dated 1925 - 1935 according to a family member. Head badge is the same, saddle is the same, and first or second generation Bowden brakes which make more sense to me judging by the rest.

https://forum.tontonvelo.com/viewtopic.php?t=18682

It's really hard to advise, but I would recommend to go a little easy, try to do a bit of research before making any moves.

.... wine is good :)
I have posted at least one Wonder on the Fench thread.

Thanks guys.
I've found the French thread, but cannot speak the language!
However BIL can and I've already pointed him in that direction and he has copied my original.post into there.
I'll pass the link on.

Italian Piccini and camembert.

Back