bike I.D help

Re:

I'm not reading the whole thread word for word ! Is the cable stop a diver's helmet type or a tube - I can't tell from the photo. You say the guide is plastic I assume I was correct a rivetted on plastic guide ?

Owners can be guilty of rebranding frames into the one they wish they had !

Rk.

Hi.

By the cable stop I guess you mean the guid on the chainstay, this is a divers style shape, not a tube.

Sorry yes, plastic but not rivited to the frame as such, just a pin which sits it into the BB.

I’m assured by original owner it’s a Holdsworth and was originally black.

Going on what you were told by the original owner its a black Holdsworth, looking at the frame its seems to be 531C with pump peg and no mudguard lugs, it seems to have a number similar to frames of the period. Looking at the history site only one frame matches that, the 1990 Falcon Holdsworth Pro. The Marlborough bikes did not come in black, too plain, and had no pump peg. But there the similarities end.

Unless Falcon did these as hand built frames with some options like the cable routing its difficult to see how that feature got there. I am also not sure about the seat stay caps too, as I think someone else pointed out. The bike was fitted with Shimano 105 group set and Wolber rims which often get mentioned in the articles on line. Your chain rings look different to these, but things get changed over time.

There are several adds on line if you google 1990 Holdsworth Pro and we have 3 in the data base, but as said before the frame numbers are of a different style. Its going to be difficult to see the detail around the frame lugs to make reliable comparisons so you could start by goggling other firms using 531C tubing with the same features as yours to see if any came with the through frame cables.

If you draw a blank on other firms I think you will just have to settle for the brief details the owner gave you. Most of the frames we have in this group in the database are in a similar state as very little is clear around that time in terms of the frame numbers found.

A very quick look on line shows very few frame with through tube routing, most use eyelets on the top tube in some fashion. Only Gazelle came up regularly and a couple of Dawes, one of which was much latter, not all 531C. All had the cable entering and exiting the top of the tube unlike this one. This is far from an exhaustive search, I am sure there are more examples. I think its going to take a while to explain why this frame has it.

https://www.lfgss.com/conversations/184320/
https://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/gaze ... 1234121271

The cable fittings look similar to those seen on Columbus frames, may be that’s were I have seen them before. Not saying this is Columbus, but this is the closest I have seen so far, location is usually towards the top of the tube though.

Attachments

• columbus derosa.jpg
    columbus derosa.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 462
Back