bike I.D help

Yes I know very little about Falcons or what they did with Holdsworth name. Would they have made specials? Most large co. did, but I get the feel Falcon may not. I guess its possible the through frame fitting were added when the frame was re-painted and used for TT's? I am sure there is another one in the database with this feature or it could be one I was considering then rejected. I'll keep looking.

That pump peg for me is significant as I have seen it on most 531C frames I've looked at. They all look very similar in style across many companies, but do have subtle differences in BB and head lugs. I did a lot of look of looking on line when I first got the Roadace and there are these very subtle differences between the 88 and 89 frames. Fortunately the frame number details the year and even the month. The C is the lightest of my 531 frames and the bike is defiantly the nicest to ride. I think some more digging is required to ID this one.

Been looking for that through frame bike, can't find it so don't think there is one I guess. The Falcon pros are 531C now I look closer, but then again the frame numbers are a different style to this one. The closest I can see in this group is number 906037, again 531C frame. This still doesn't account for the unusual cable routing though and there is precious little consistency in numbering during this period.

I am taking this at face value as a Holdsworth as the number fits the ‘others’ grouping such as it is. More work needed to ID this fully.

A few more thoughts, then I think that's as much as I can add. Your frame and the one listed #906037 are very similar although you may find slight differences in the main lugs. Another significant item on your frame is the small pen/lug on the drive side seat stay. Not entirely sure of its purpose but I use it to hook the chain on to when removing the rear wheel. To me this, the pump peg and the rear brake stay boss would suggest a latter 531C frame than those used by Marlbough, ref the catalogue on the history site. These items seem to be constant on 531C frames of the time.

The positioning of the read brake cable lugs on the frames in the database are consistently on the top as is Holdsworth style. Mine on the Roadace are lower down on the non-drive side of the frame tube. Along with this difference, and as said before, the use of lugs from different manufactures other additional braces may be seen. These would be the main ID points to help determine who’s frame it is and therefore the model. (For example mine doesn’t have the brace behind the BB which is seen on the previous years model)

As pointed out by Midlife the though frame cable may be the key feature as this is a departure from the Holdsworth norm. The frame features and the 531 decal would suggest to me late 80's, the number fits the rather random style of this other Holdsworth group. That said I doubt those Holdsworth decals would have been used originally in late 80's, they far too plain for that time. That said it is simular to other frames in the database so could indicate a bit of decal mix and match during the re-spray. Based on the number and the similarity to other frames in the database I feel it justifies a place in the other group, but with a big question mark on the cable routing. I suggest you keep Googling 531C frames and look for who used through tube cables and the other more common features. I would be interested to know that you find.

Ok, I am happy to keep this in the other section based on the number and similarities with other frames of the period, but the through tube routing is distinctly odd as top eyelets were the norm. Also those Holdsworth decals are not exactly the same as other of the time, too straight at the ends. If it’s been resprayed I guess it depends what the owner chose to put on, you would expect him to use the correct name if owned from new.

I think all that can be said with any certainly at all is 531C tubing and mid to late 80's. All I can suggest is you go through the frame features item by item and look at catalogues/frames of the period for Holdsworth, Falcon and others to see i you get a match. Your only other option is to take it at face value without out a full ID, anything else the owner can tell you would be helpful, but I guess you have that now anyway. Patience does pay off as I have found with my non-Holdworth frames, eventually you come to a settle view that as good as its going to get. I did actually get to speak to Tom who built my Lo-Pro frame which was an interesting conversation.

dwscrimshaw":catiugbs said:
Ok, I am happy to keep this in the other section based on the number and similarities with other frames of the period, but the through tube routing is distinctly odd as top eyelets were the norm. Also those Holdsworth decals are not exactly the same as other of the time, too straight at the ends. If it’s been resprayed I guess it depends what the owner chose to put on, you would expect him to use the correct name if owned from new.

I think all that can be said with any certainly at all is 531C tubing and mid to late 80's. All I can suggest is you go through the frame features item by item and look at catalogues/frames of the period for Holdsworth, Falcon and others to see i you get a match. Your only other option is to take it at face value without out a full ID, anything else the owner can tell you would be helpful, but I guess you have that now anyway. Patience does pay off as I have found with my non-Holdworth frames, eventually you come to a settle view that as good as its going to get. I did actually get to speak to Tom who built my Lo-Pro frame which was an interesting conversation.

Does look like those straight edge decals were around in 70/80 so could have been on there originally or the only ones available when re-sprayed. Something similar on H Lloyd site but with limited info.

Yes, in hindsight I wouldn’t get to bothered by them bearing in mind the re-spray. I think your best source of info is the owner. Either take the bike at face value and his recollection or do a lot of googling. It was quite long winded getting to the bottom of the history of my Lo-Pro, but got there in the end.

Re:

The frame does have some similarities with the RRA (I had a new one BiTD), the Holdsworth decaled frame has the chain holder, the pump peg - although not the same as the Raleigh type and the similarities end with the seat stay caps and the lugs - they look to me like short point ones not the long point with the heart shaped cutouts avec RRA.

The Reynolds decal on the fork is the late type.

The gearchange cables are under the bracket, how are they guided - cast in BB guides or a rivetted on plastic one ?

Rk.

The BB cable guides are just plastic.

As previously mentioned the rear mech cable is also guided through a metal ‘eyelet ‘ under the chainstay.

Ed

Back