Best All-rounder Tyre Setup

12Medallion

Dirt Disciple
Hi all
This has probably been asked many times but what do you consider the best tyre setup for all conditions. My rear 26 x 2.0 IRC Piranha finally needs to be replaced and, though I'm doing far more road riding nowadays, I still want something that can cut it off road.
Was hoping to source some skinwall tyres but choices are limited. Wondered what thoughts are on which way to go, replace the rear with something like for like or opt for something newer for both?
Any advice greatly received!

This depends massively on where you live.
Somewhere with lots of chalky clay will need a totally different tyre to somewhere gravelly and flinty.

Round me it's all gravel and flints: light tyres don't last, but mud and clogging is never an issue.

Re:

Elsewhere, I've seen Smart Sams recommended as the answer to the question. I've not tried them but I've been tempted. These look good value:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265009505485

Cheaper still are Impac Smartpacs (based on the old Smart Sam tread) but probably not worth it compared to the Schwalbes above.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

Round here a 1" tyre with minimal grip Is probably best, otherwise the wheels will not be turnung for long.

Other than that, best setup I had was Nobby Nic EVO 2.25 from ~2010 era, tread has changed now so cannot comment.
Tough Tom has that tread now but has puncture protection, stiffer rubber and heavier

They did everything I did, was fine in road and lovely on all conditons, moors, peaks, pines, sloppy mud, gravels, chalk, dust, sand, glue-mud/gravel/stone of the Humber too, or around a field or through one.

2.1" would be better on some bikes.
I also like the Charge Splashbacks, not so grippy on high speed tarmac descents (for braking distance or turning under braking). But for rough chalk/stone boulders, cinder track, trail centres, grass and light mud covering, I found them fine and predictable.

I would probably aim for something light, minimal tread, sort of the gravel bike style treads?

Re: Re:

FluffyChicken":3oqiak9y said:
I also like the Charge Splashbacks, not so grippy on high speed tarmac descents (for braking distance or turning under braking). But for rough chalk/stone boulders, cinder track, trail centres, grass and light mud covering, I found them fine and predictable.

Worst fall I've had in recent years was when a Splashback let go on a cattle grid. Granted it's a tricky surface, especially in the wet, but "predictable" is not a word I'd use to describe my experience with them. A year later my shoulder has still not fully recovered. Wouldn't recommend personally - in fact I felt guilty selling them.

Schwalbe Rocket Rons for me, also Conti Race King. (Gravelly flinty stuff, well-drained).
The Rocket Rons have had some batches which seemed very fragile - one memorable ride I had 7 punctures on a brand new tyre due to flint cuts.

In clay/chalk mud where I used to live in Surrey, a self-clearing tread like Onza Rip / Rail was superb.

I really like the Schwalbe Billy Bonkers. The roll almost as well as Kojaks on asphalt, and they still keep a good grip on dirt/gravel type surfaces. Plus, they come in tanwall and look tha shiznit :).

Re: Re:

Captain Stupido":11cxtayh said:
FluffyChicken":11cxtayh said:

Worst fall I've had in recent years was when a Splashback let go on a cattle grid. Granted it's a tricky surface, especially in the wet, but "predictable" is not a word I'd use to describe my experience with them. A year later my shoulder has still not fully recovered. Wouldn't recommend personally - in fact I felt guilty selling them.
Each to there own and own riding style.
I like them.
(though did have my worst accident using them, but that was on a road in Rosedale.)

And here I lies a problem, you need to find a tyre that suits you, your bike and your area.
A tyre can make a horrible front end into a nice front end.
Just an change of shape, but that's another story of another bike.

hamster":14jppt5s said:
Schwalbe Rocket Rons for me, also Conti Race King. (Gravelly flinty stuff, well-drained).
The Rocket Rons have had some batches which seemed very fragile - one memorable ride I had 7 punctures on a brand new tyre due to flint cuts.

In clay/chalk mud where I used to live in Surrey, a self-clearing tread like Onza Rip / Rail was superb.

Rip/Rail for me if only they made them, great in the snow too (used them in 2010 before the side gave up for the second time ;-))

I'm running some Ron's 2.25 now on two bikes and around here I have no faith in the tyre, they slide around and a thin layer of damp mud on the top and they don't grip, I sort of mud-plane on them.
Really weird as I was looking forward to them after using Nic's
In the dry they are 'ok' on the front, still don't like it on the back.

Back