Being a numpty

Markybeau

Gold Trader
Dyna-Tech Fan
Feedback
View
Ever fitted a component that never quite worked the way it should, swap it out for something else that also didn't work, then refit the original, unknowingly in a slightly different position, to find it works perfectly?

I have. I'm a numpty. What about you, and what was it?

Regular front mech, could never quite get the correct range. On the large ring there was always a bit of chain drag when going for it downhill.

Swapped it out for an E-type that I'd bought specifically - as the frame should have - only to find it incompatible with the chainset I'd used - inner ring dragged on the bottom bracket plate.

Put the original mech back on, unknowingly in a slightly different position. Chain clearance for miles. No more problem. Followed by much palming of forehead...

Last edited:
Ever fitted a component that never quite worked the way it should, swap it out for something else that also didn't work, then refit the original, unknowingly in a slightly different position, to find it works perfectly?

I have. I'm a numpty. What about you, and what was it?

Regular front mech, could never quite get the correct range. On the large ring there was always a bit of chain drag when going for it downhill.

Swapped it out for an E-type that I'd bought specifically - as the frame should have - only to find it incompatible with the chainset I'd used - inner ring dragged on the bottom bracket plate.

Put the original mech back on, unknowingly in a slightly different position. Chain clearance for miles. No more problem. Followed by much palming of forehead...
I don't know where I am half the time I work on bikes, when I wake up, and if it doesn't rattle too much, I ride it

Back