Banana - Brake Upgrade. Installed OK?

Hey Pat.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=386226

If you would like anything specific let me know and I'll get the camera out.

I'll do a video and full walk around once it's complete and list all components I used to get her rolling, then be on hand to share what I learned (and broke haha) along the way.

Mines the 18-23 steel one but I wanted that cos am a stocky lad (17 stone) but I gave it the race paint if I got that correctly. I think tell take signs are the eyelets on the top tube, mudguard points on dropouts and forks and single bottle cage give it away although once the front mech is installed I'll be adding another bottle cage.

Re:

Just checked out the link, looks great, interesting set up with the stem,my cousin had a similar frame to yours only It was probably later, it had internal cable routing. I tried to order a 23 inch framed one at the time, however the dealer told me they were discontinued and I ended up with a Banana Falcon - autumn 1990 or spring 91 I think. The 18-23 Raleigh Banana here in Ireland were 250 pounds in price and the banana falcon sold for 200 pounds.

the banana falcon came with an ironing board for a saddle, but who cares, once I got the bikeI had to have concealed cables run under the bar tape and clipless pedals to give me the edge (never did though!!)

looking forward to the updates and the finished build

regards,

Pat

That's cool info Pat, cheers :)

Maybe it's time to grab a cheap one on ebay yourself and create the bike you always wanted :D

Afternoon fellas.

Just wanted to add some more details and pics for anyone out there contemplating on restoring a banana and like me were clueless where to begin.

I read that not all brakes will work on this frame, some frames needing / not needing long length calipers etc.

In my case with this Banana I can confirm that the Shimano Tiagra duel pivot brake calipers both work fine with a 700c wheelset, at least my wheelset which is a Mavic Aksium shown here.

Just need a couple of those conical washers and a longer bolt for the front caliper and am in business :cool:

Attachments

• DSCN3234.JPG
    DSCN3234.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 133
  • DSCN3237.JPG
    DSCN3237.JPG
    109.2 KB · Views: 133
  • DSCN3239.JPG
    DSCN3239.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 133
The pads on the back look to be significantly too high, they'll be rubbing on the tyres.

Re:

Nah it's just because the caliper was loose when I took the pic. I've nipped it up n brought the pads to the rim, they actually needs to go up a few mm to be central on the braking surface so all within adjustment.

Back