Banana - Brake Upgrade. Installed OK?

Ray_72":bsjk5olt said:
You only need to drill the back of the fork and get a longer sleeve nut so that it reaches. They are easily available for carbon bikes with oversized forks. You may be able to do the same with the rear but will need a right angled drill attachment even then you may not have room.

Ray
I drilled right through the rear bridge. The hole is so short there's no problem. However, this is with a bridge that has a 'tube-like solid' hole so the threaded bush supports the brake and is itself supported by the walls of the hole. With a more basic bridge with no 'solid' part it may not be effective.

Thanks for the posts guys.

OK for the rear I have just spun the conical washer around and removed the spring washer, it doesn't seem necessary in this application.

So we have the flat washer on the flat 'O' of the frame which is good and now the conical washer the right way round leaving a flat surface for a nylon nut, when I can get one :oops:

So then the only problem is the front.

What about this? And repeat as I have done with the rear, obtain a longer bolt assembly and add conical washer and nylon nut again? Does this sound reasonable?

I don't want to start drilling frame and forks because there doesnt look enough surrounding metal to get away with drilling, I feel it would affect the integrity of the hole, the sleeve with the Tiagra is only a few mm short of being same with as the rear caliper attachment bar on the frame :shock:

Attachments

• snap624.jpg
    snap624.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 145
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 145
legrandefromage":3uy72yvk said:
I'm not sorry in saying thats possibly the worst cobbled together bits I've ever seen!

Bit harsh isn't it ? :cry: I'm a total newbie at this, so I got a washer wrong way round, can't help that the frame needs rethreading either :|

ThePowster":znaq9e55 said:
legrandefromage":znaq9e55 said:
I'm not sorry in saying thats possibly the worst cobbled together bits I've ever seen!

Bit harsh isn't it ? :cry: I'm a total newbie at this, so I got a washer wrong way round, can't help that the frame needs rethreading either :|

Lets put the whole quote in there rather than just fishing out the best bits for a bit of sympathy

legrandefromage":znaq9e55 said:

Unfortunately what takes about 30 seconds of spannering takes about 3000 words of explanation.

Heres how those concave washers work for the rear brake:

clip002.jpg

Dont be afraid of drilling but if you are, theres nutted brakes available, you'll have to check the drop

https://www.velovitality.co.uk/products ... tted-brake

legrandefromage - I ain't asking for sympathy, I was asking for practical advice having never done this before. And I really appreciate the image and info, I just didn't feel the whole, ya bike looks cobbled together comment was necessary, how does that help anyone, especially a newbie? Maybe you never made a mistake, I dunno.

Not gonna debate it back and forth, thanks again for the picture, it did help and allowed me to see my washer was on wrong way round.

Re:

hi

Can you show a photo of the whole frame and fork I love Raleigh bananas even the lower end ones were nicely finished I remember they had a really comfortable saddle

That groupset will look really well and the contributions have been very informative great thread all round

Regards

Pat

Back