Back on the bike

Imlach

98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Hi, so I know there's a daily rides thread but I wanted to make a separate thread to hear input from others as well. I suppose it'll serve as a kind of reminder for myself.

I have been away from bikes for quite a while after my last ride was nicked, and after that I stopped most bike related exercise. But recently I have had a bit of energy and finally got around to fixing up and modernising my 97 Rockhopper. I suffer from severe ocd so sometimes it can be hard to have the energy to do things, fixing things and buying new things is an immense struggle as I have severe intrusive thoughts and often I indulge in rituals that drain me of energy.

But today things were different, after having bought new parts and finally almost finishing the bike I went for a fairly long ride. It wasn't by no means up to my old standards, I'd often ride for hours on end daily but today I pushed myself and felt great. My mental health always improves on the bike, as I get to go out and enjoy the forest, just taking in everything. I even pushed myself to not give in when there was a wee climb. I feel like I'm able to get back into my old rhythm, and I'm hoping to lose some of the 300 pounds that I carry about in the process.

I owe a lot of this to you guys here on retrobike, I've enjoyed seeing your restorations, and I admire the joy that you find in your bikes. It gives me motivation.

tl;dr today was a good day.

Re:

Good for you !

Take one step/pedal rotation at a time. If you dont feel like going for a ride, then don't.
I've suffered from being off the bike for 10 yrs but every day is a chance to make a small change.

Thank you for all the encouraging words! I reckon I'll stay away from the cake, though. As appealing as it may sound :D

Back