Are these Paul boosters?

brutuskrombi

Retro Guru
I acquired a Scott Pro Only equipped with some bling components including blue Paul Stoplite brakes coupled with these interesting boosters that I don't recognize. Are they maybe Paul's, too?
I am sorry for my lack of knowledge as I don't even know if he made boosters at all.

Attachments

• IMG_7807.JPG
    IMG_7807.JPG
    282.5 KB · Views: 17
The do look like Fimoco.
Fimoco Brake Booster aus Bike Test 1994.jpg

But BTW, was your Scott Pro Only a yellow one? I would be also curios to see more stuff from this bike.
Unfortunately most of those are meanwhile dismantled just for the nice custom parts.

Last edited:
Thank you kind man.
Well, yes it is a yellow one Scott Pro Only. It was equipped with Scott Unishock fork with I think unique CNC'ed blue anodized brake bridge and dropouts, blue anodized and very light Scott handlebar/barends and seatpost, Cook bros cranks, Paul cantis but wheels were nothing special probably replacements. Forks were stuck and frame was quite abused, handlebar crashed from overtightening barends etc. And it was too small for me so I shamelessly took off Cooks and Pauls but rest of it is still in my basement. I will take some shots of its remains to feed your curiosity if you want. Cheers.

I was trying to get this one a few years ago, but too late. Just saved the pictures.
Scott Pro Only eBay Kleinanzeigen 3.jpg
Scott Pro Only eBay Kleinanzeigen 5.jpg

Obviously not in original nor good condition any longer, but still an nice Bike.
Since that I'm keeping my eye open to find another one. But frankly said, not sure what I would do with this bike, maybe also used it rather as donor bike for the nice parts?

I've seen meanwhile a few others, but not for sale, most had similar blue elox stuff, most also have a blue Ringle bottle cage.

Not sure about brake levers, mostly Tech Lite, yours too?

The Fimoco Brake booster seem to be custom, but it was certainly a nice fit too.

and to jump back to the subject of this Thread, Paul had also brake boosters, not exactly sure about dates, but the beige and blue catalogs marked from Mombat with unknown date, to me 1996 and 1997, are showing the Brake Buddy brake booster.
Paul Brake buddy 1997.jpg

There are two other models too.

The one similar like above, but with the "P" logo,
I thought earlier this is clearly newer, but it was in a buyers guide for 1996 already shown.
Maybe rather a variant for some markets or re-seller? Maybe real Paul experts have more knowledge about this P logo.
Paul Brake Buddy aus BW1996.jpg

and there is also an non "classical", but nice booster for their modern froglegs brakes (which won't fit to MTB tires)
Paul Touring brake booster.jpg

Last edited:
@joglo
This one looks almost exactly like mine. I forgot to mention Tech lite levers + X rays, and I had only rear wheel with Pulstar hub on Ritchey rock something rim. I think it is quite underrated frame, it is lightweight it has proper 90's racing geometry, gets to speed very fast and flies away on a downhill (tough mine 100+ kg might have some contribution to that). I didn't have a manner to take photos of acquired bikes but I did rode them for a few days before taking to basement chop shop. Fork has a nice looks, titanium steerer/crown and I am not sure if they are anything worse than any other elastomer fork.

Attachments

• IMG_7826.JPG
    IMG_7826.JPG
    216.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_7825.JPG
    IMG_7825.JPG
    256.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_7824.JPG
    IMG_7824.JPG
    217.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7823.JPG
    IMG_7823.JPG
    322.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
@joglo
This one looks almost exactly like mine. I forgot to mention Tech lite levers + X rays, and I had only rear wheel with Pulstar hub on Ritchey rock something rim. I think it is quite underrated frame, it is lightweight it has proper 90's racing geometry, gets to speed very fast and flies away on a downhill (tough mine 100+ kg might have some contribution to that). I didn't have a manner to take photos of acquired bikes but I did rode them for a few days before taking to basement chop shop. Fork has a nice looks, titanium steerer/crown and I am not sure if they are anything worse than any other elastomer fork.

@FluffyChicken Is this the same Scott/Clark Kent fork as the one in your garage or a different model?

Sort of, as in the 1994 LFR but no trendy blue colour.
though I don't believe any actually have Ti stanchion/steerers. That blue above looks steel to me.

They may sort of look it like mine but pretty sure they're steel.

Also two years later every Unishock* like these (about 17000 of them)
Loads of reports and some nasty injuries.

Only ones exempt were the ones with onky unishock (white legs) on them, I think the originals, so no model sticker on them.

Still I need to ge the working :)

I think I've read somewhere that stanchion/steeres are Ti, checked mine with magnet again and it doesn't stick. Also, welds on steerer/stanchions cross looks, maybe not as nice as on my Litespeed but quite similar to it. Must admit that it doesn't crossed my mind before but It could be stainless steel than maybe?

My guess was some grade of stainless, mainly as there would be nothing left if not, given they're not chrome plated and they are bare to make the stanchions work.
They just don't have the feel of any of my Ti things and tubes.

Hope somebody remembers.

Ti, I think is the bolts are or at least the useless fragile custom looking things that bind to the inner bits at the bottom and have a whole through them. With a design that the rotates everything in side with no way of stopping it.

The ones I've had to drill the fecking heads off to get the bloody fork open ;-)

Which is a pain, as they're tough as hell and of course spin if not done in short bursts and holding it with some odd magic touch, and quickly blunts the end of the drill bill.

Iirc.

Back