Anyone know how to pronounce Mavic?

AQ nyone Know How to Pronounce Michelin

Nearly there, but not quite.

The French language when spoken has a lot of NASAL sounds . ie those that are spken through the nose...No I'm not taking the proverbial!

Michelin as in the tyre company is pronounced MEESHALAHN...the last four letters being pronounced down the nose without the last letter N being actually pronounced as an N..something like 'annhh'.

Yes, don't say it...these French people are odd at times.

Hope that helps

Old Ned":tif51qdy said:
Drifting slightly off-topic but I have some quill pedals labelled 'Michelin' which I understand was the original trading name of 'Miche' (until the tyre company protested - 'Meeshlan')

Bang on. To this day, the firm's official name is still FAC Michelin SpA, although Miche is now always used in the commercial sphere.

David

Re: mavic

orbeas":1fksc8ud said:
He is one for you guys

Bottechia !!!!!

is it Botekia or Botachia ?????
'Bottecchia' I've pronounced it as Bot-a-chee-a, but apparently some say it is bow-tek'-ia
And reading a few other places saying that Mavic is Maa-veek as wot bespoke wrote above.
ATEOTD anyone who gets snotty about how a companies name is pronounced (unles you had close ties to it or the family whose name it is taken from) then you're an ass.

Old Ned said:
Ciocc is pronounced 'church' - or so I was told many years ago when they were first being introduced and still relatively unknown.

In days gone by when I was employed as a pro team mech for 1 season they rode CIOCC frames, the Italian guy that delivered them called them CUUCH, although I have heard them called CHURCH[ but mainly by Brits]

Bespoke is correct - it's mav-EEK, like Monique.

There was a mechanic in a bike shop in Exeter years ago who used to pronounce Shimano as shimayno. Does anyone else do that? I say shimarno and most Brits I know do likewise. Then again I live in France and they say shee-MAN-o. :D

Legend has it Sean Kelly was commenting in the Tour one year and the breakaway was 3'33" ahead of the peloton. That's right - tree minutes and tourty-tree seconds ahead.

Any ideas for Dedacciai
I have had a Dedacciai Nero Corsa for a couple of years and have no idea how it should be pronounced.

Go work in a bike shop and every customer will pronouce things diferently.When marin had a Monocoque it was geat.

Back