Anyone know how to pronounce Mavic?

Mavic as others have said is phonetically how we would say it, Ma -viC I was chatting to an old boy at a Mavic stand at a lower ranked tour a few years ago so know this is fact ;)

Okay, my interpretations of the others based on what I know & have heard
Miche = Meesh
Bianchi = bee-an-kee (not Y at the end of 'Kee' as there is a subtle phonic difference between an e & y on word endings)
Gipiemme with the G as a J, so Jip-e-m
CIOCC is Chee-oK

I can see everyone falling out over this - I too pronounced it meesh until their UK distro corrected me and pronounced it meekay ;)

This is what happens when you take a word and pronounce it in the region dialect. Pronouncing a word the way your language would pronounce it is not wrong. Unfortunately 'tinternet gets involved and people in England start pronouncing worlds in an Americanised version of said European languages.

In the computer world that is what happens to Linux. The Americans tried to copy Linus's version (which was just his accent and halfway between the two)
Take Linus pronounce it, then you have the pronunciation of Linux.
over here the i is with a 'eye' sound, the Americans made it a short i (stabby sound) while trying to copy his accent and so the English IT crowd (mags, 'tinternet) trying to be cool reckon that is should be like that, where as the 'eye' sound had been perfectly correct for some many many years before hand and is just our accent saying it.

detomaso":1z4uhn7j said:
I can see everyone falling out over this - I too pronounced it meesh until their UK distro corrected me and pronounced it meekay ;)
I don't think too much falling out :cool: , I'm a northerner so say it how you spell it is the order of the day, them johnny foreigners' way of pronouncing things isn't going to change that much :LOL:

I can see everyone falling out over this - I too pronounced it meesh until their UK distro corrected me and pronounced it meekay

It would be Meesh if they were French. But they're not!

terryhfs":1ywyrpl5 said:
I can see everyone falling out over this - I too pronounced it meesh until their UK distro corrected me and pronounced it meekay

It would be Meesh if they were French. But they're not!
Given both languages are of Latin descent then there are many similarities.
ATEOTD who gives a stuff what brands are called, so long as it is shiny, cheap and makes you go faster I don't give a toss :D

Anyone Know How to Pronounce MAVIC

It's not too difficult...but depends which country you are in.

In the UK ..then MAVIC ie MAVICK ( think of maverick..same ending sound)

In France the 'I' becomes longer and the sound develops into MAVEEECK..Well that's how they pronounced it when I went on a tour of the factory.

Drifting slightly off-topic but I have some quill pedals labelled 'Michelin' which I understand was the original trading name of 'Miche' (until the tyre company protested - 'Meeshlan') so, going by what has been said above, would this have been pronounced' Mee-kay-lin' :? :roll:

Back