Any tips for removing a recalcitrant crank arm?

unclebuck":2q5ryg7w said:
Gave it a good seeing to on the local MTB Gorrick Autumn Classic Race course today (as the Achilles tendon on my right ankle will attest).. Still no movement..

Think more WD40 and more waiting is required before going nuclear...

You tried the Carjack method? worth a try before you get ther heat out??

unclebuck":rjurexdp said:
Think more WD40 and more waiting is required before going nuclear...

WD40 isn't going to do anything and no need to go nuclear.

I've used a ball joint splitter / pickle fork between BB and crank with success a number of times.

I wouldn't ride round with the bolt undone because you will trash the taper in the arm.

L-ball-joint-splitter.jpg

1 part dremmel tool, 2 parts determination. In this example, the crank had little monetary value though.. My rings were pinned. As yours are not, I'd remove them first. Less heat sync that way.

This works. Dremmel till you are close to the spindle. Get a big flat screwdriver or something to pry and crack the remainder . It's pop off with a few light hammer whacks once its cracked. You can also apply an ice cube to the spindle when the crank is hot from the dremmel. That'll cool it as the ice quickly melts away.

Get pissed, but protect the frame at all costs. It'll come off.

img2475wk.jpg

Ditto the ineffectiveness of WD40... its a water displacer, not dissmantling fluid.

PlusGas is what you need if you want to try the non desctructive method, but as mentioned, a crank with stripped threads is toasted anyway.... cut the fecker off

G

unkleGsif":202uw7qu said:
Ditto the ineffectiveness of WD40... its a water displacer, not dissmantling fluid.

PlusGas is what you need if you want to try the non desctructive method, but as mentioned, a crank with stripped threads is toasted anyway.... cut the fecker off

G

yep i agree with this,its hacksaw time!

unkleGsif":2tycmuox said:
PlusGas is what you need if you want to try the non desctructive method,

G

Oops my bad - I meant Plus Gas - that's what I'm using. :oops:

Ball joint splitter looks interesting, I'm sure that would do the job. Just worried it would do as much damage to the frame as it would to the crank arm...

Drill a hole in the hub, just like chopping a bit off
drill a hole and it will weaken the hub.
If your close ride it round and I will take it off for
you.

unclebuck":100krnma said:
Don't want to damage the paint as it is a Klein frame so the application of heat is not an option.

Just ocurred to me on my way to work this morning ( I know, the strangest of things go through ones head at the wierdest of times).... if you are worried about the paint, and only one side is siezed, why not just remove the other side and take the BB and crank out in one, then tackle off the bike?

G

Back