Stuck bolts, rivnut and crank

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I took a punt on a frame recently hoping I could sort out an issue disclosed, turns out there's another.

Rivut has bolt stuck in and it spins in the frame. Any thoughts on how to get the bolt out and the rivnut replaced? Added complication is there's a cable guide attached to the bolt which I need to save.

Crank bolt is rounded, no Allen key I have will fit. Cranks are m952 so not sacrificial, I also don't want to hurt the xtr bb either. I haven't had time to remove the self extracting cover yet. I'm hoping I can get that off and see what's what, but any tips or tricks available to get the bolt out gratefully received

Last edited:
I had a similar issue with the rivnut on my 93' Zaskar, I very very carefully dabbed a bit of super glue so it only went into the space between the rivnut seam and the frame and then allowed me to break free the bolt

For the crank bolt, instead of an allen key/ hex key use a oversized tourq bit tap it in as a last resort and then it will grip the aluminium.

Agree with Spudalumps on the crank bolt. Buy a larger Torx, file the tips of the ridges to a slight taper to help it engage, then hammer it in (while holding in with mole grips. Then use the grips to turn the bolt. I'd also give the bolt a load of Plus-Gas 24 hours beforehand via the other end of the BB (the shaft is hollow).

Agree with Spudalumps on the crank bolt. Buy a larger Torx, file the tips of the ridges to a slight taper to help it engage, then hammer it in (while holding in with mole grips. Then use the grips to turn the bolt. I'd also give the bolt a load of Plus-Gas 24 hours beforehand via the other end of the BB (the shaft is hollow).
A stud extractor / 'Easy-Out' is another possibility, but only try it after the Torx as it's more destructive.

Here's a pic of the rivnut and bolt that I need to sort.

Progress of sorts on the crank bolt. Self extractor came off with no fuss but I don't have a torx tool big enough. The largest one I have fits in like the hex key of the correct size so nothing to bash in. Next step is to see if I have a flat blade screwdriver that might do the job.

Any other ideas welcomed.

Attachments

• PSX_20220222_235331.jpg
    PSX_20220222_235331.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 16
If you place a hacksaw blade between the cable guide and the frame tube you could possibly cut a 'flat'

on one side of the flanged head of the rivnut , stopping rotation as you cut with an allen key . Cut a similar

'flat' on the other side , and now if you can make a simple plate spanner to fit , you can stop the rivnut

rotating as you turn the allen key . If this does not work , and presuming there is a way to retrieve the rivnut ,

keep on cutting until it falls inside . Another option would be to fit a suitable allen bit into an electric drill ,

place the hacksaw blade against the rivnut head , turn on the drill while carefully applying pressure to the

blade and moving it slightly back and forwards . Things could get a bit hot , so some thin oil under the bolt head would help

The cable guide is in fact quite handy as it serves to keep the hacksaw blade in the correct position . Good luck !

Back