Any tips for removing a recalcitrant crank arm?

Drive side or non drive side? one of these should be in any bikeshop´s tool box:

Name_ATT0300112_Pitman_Arm_Puller.jpg

Pitman arm puller

Synthesis":3mpqn5fi said:
Drive side or non drive side? one of these should be in any bikeshop´s tool box:

Name_ATT0300112_Pitman_Arm_Puller.jpg

Pitman arm puller

Hey.... hey... :)

That could be the answer... where do you get those??

if you have an old crank arm knocking about somewhere you could try the car jack method.

(put NDS arm on in the same orientation as the DS, place jack between frame as close to the BB shell as possible -you could even wrap the frame to protect its kleinyness from harm - and just keep gradually winding the jack in & out to try and force it off that way.)

unclebuck":3cxfr8rv said:
Don't want to damage the paint as it is a Klein frame so the application of heat is not an option.

I reckon heating it .... wait til I explain .. togehter with that puller is your best bet.

If you are worried about damaging the paint, you can get pretty hot, close to 200 C before there is any damage or you can use a heat shield; a poor mans heat shield is an old towel soaked in water.

Aluminium expands more than steel so how can that not work?

jax13":r7x88jd7 said:
if you have an old crank arm knocking about somewhere you could try the car jack method.

(put NDS arm on in the same orientation as the DS, place jack between frame as close to the BB shell as possible -you could even wrap the frame to protect its kleinyness from harm - and just keep gradually winding the jack in & out to try and force it off that way.)

+1 I used the car jack method on a friends Saracen, we had tried everything, but using the scissor jack from my Mrs Corsa and some wood battens and some old rags from the man cave to act as support and protection whilst the bike lay on its side then slowly winding it eased it off :)

Job Done, I saw this method on an earlier thread on here, was sceptical but had lost patience with the offending stuck arm and thought what the heck i will give it a try before we get the grinder or blow torch out.

If it would be a BB with seperate parts you could losen the other side cup a couple mm, put two flat hub wrench tools between stuck crank and cup and give the spindle a few hits with hammer via some kind of metal bit.

Gave it a good seeing to on the local MTB Gorrick Autumn Classic Race course today (as the Achilles tendon on my right ankle will attest).. Still no movement..

Think more WD40 and more waiting is required before going nuclear...

Back