Any Quantockers here with some tips for a local?

Canopy

Dirt Disciple
Hi!

After many many years away have been hitting the quantocks almost weekly for the last couple months.
Used to ride up to the quantocks from where i lived in taunton, but now live a bit further out its all about the bike rack, meet/grab a few friends.

Am armed with an OS map, we have been to a fair few places now, but as well as having trouble finding some trails, there are others I've heard of which I have no idea where they are. Have studied some youtube vids with my main riding companion but either it all looks the same, or is unrecognisable due to leaf fall etc. Seems online like some places have multiple names too!

I'm familiar with the route from lydeard hill car park, through will necks to triscombe stone and have hit the the cluster around hodders combe / stert combe to somerton combe / ladys edge and am planning to descend slaughterhouse combe next time we're out to complete the set in that area.

have also done the super rocky old devils galloping (real name) as we missed finding the single track entrance to frog combe, and followed that down through into holford combe.

not explored the dead womans ditch area much yet.

once at the bottom in hodders combe coming up ladys edge seems easiest way back up (approx 20 mins from the flat ish bit where the 3 combes join)

not done any of the area around great wood at all (I used to stay with a school friend who lived there sometimes, but no biking!)

I carry an OS extreme map, but have been trying to find better maps since noticing on here that things like old devils galloping and other paths/areas have names on there that dont show on the finest OS one. is there a better more focused map available? Although once I've been somewhere (and reviewed the GPS stuff in mapmyride) i know how accurate my map reading has been my memory based nav is

for example, going beyond OS map level here shows that kind of detail http://www.streetmap.co.uk/ so if anyone can recommend anything else that'd be an awesome addition. otherwise i'm just planning to scan my OS map, blow up the main areas and print/laminate with my own added detail

(another oddity of note for anyone who ends up in this post for other reasons is that all maps refer to wilmots pool but the sign post by it says withymans pool, apparently the name has reverted to an earlier one and no one told the map makers...)

:)

Back