Dersel Car Recommendations - Help Needed.....

letmetalktomark":1e3qsp2k said:
Right then need a new/newer car as little red car (aka Peugeot 206) won't be with us for much longer :(

Open to suggestions/recommendations and feedback on all as I am not brand led.

Would like though:

➡️ Diesel engine

➡️ Focus* sized (* Focus only used as an example)

➡️ Hatchback ( I would like an estate :cool: but Mrs LMTTM says no :( )

➡️ Economical both in performance and depreciation but we tend to keep our cars until they die so residual value important but not everything.

➡️ Comfortable - will be used for circa 20K a year mainly motorways

➡️ Not swung of French cars :oops:

Budget TBA and dependent upon mileage/conditions but expected to be around £6 - £8k As don't want a loan :evil: :evil:

So then over to you suggestions & recommendations all welcome :D
You've all but suggested it in your own post - a diesel Focus.

[/quote]
You've all but suggested it in your own post - a diesel Focus.[/quote]

Nooooooooooo, Ford Diesel - don't do it.

I've found fords are expensive for parts

Although mine has been a git, its been easy to fix by simple parts swapping - I'd go with a 'Dub.

You've all but suggested it in your own post - a diesel Focus.[/quote]

Nooooooooooo, Ford Diesel - don't do it.[/quote]

Drove a 2L Diesel Mondeo for 3 years at 45-50K a year with no problems

TheGreenRabbit":yxj280i6 said:
You've all but suggested it in your own post - a diesel Focus.

Nooooooooooo, Ford Diesel - don't do it.[/quote]

Drove a 2L Diesel Mondeo for 3 years at 45-50K a year with no problems[/quote]

yours must be the only one on the planet that didnt have the handbrake/ rear callipers seize. dual mass flywheel disintegrate, steering rack/ pump go, rear suspension bushes go.

Even the most lightly driven ones have problems with some of the above at 80,000

Just going on my experience with a Mk3 Mondeo. Wasn't pleasant to drive compared to brother-in-laws petrol version and was a bugger to carry out repairs on. Engine's also have their known problems, EGR valve etc, although my engine was ok. Diesel Fiesta's at work are also nasty to drive but that could just be me.
I guess then that there's nothing really wrong with Ford diesels, just didn't like the Mondeo and wouldn't have another Ford based on my experience.

Bit like bikes I guess, what some love others hate.

There's nothing wrong with the Ford Focus, it's a class leading hatchback.

And there's nothing wrong with the diesel engines that they put in them, either.

In the past, I was a fan of VWs - I had several (4, in fact, 2 of 'em being Passats). But their reputation from the past on reliability and trustworthiness, is no longer justified compared with most of their peers.

I'm no huge fan of Fords, either - but it has to be said, the Focus is a damned fine mid sized hatchback.

My neighbour's got a diesel engined Mondeo (51 reg) and the money that he's thrown at it to iron out its, ummm, "quirks" is nobody's business.

Those Skoda diesels give you a lot of car for your money...

<puts on flame-proof coat in anticipation of replies and runs into underground bunker>

letmetalktomark":3es9w61o said:
cheers for the suggestions.

Will look for a low mileage Golf in price range :?

crap colours sell for less, avoid 'SDI' models - these are non turbo and slower than throwing a sandwich at a window and watching it slide down:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/search/used ... ype/diesel

Loss of power on acceleration is MAP sensor, lots of black soot is faulty MAF sensor, lots of blue smoke is shagged turbo, knocks from steering is bushes, windows not winding properly is four hour job, rough idle is EGR valve. Faulty alarm is faulty convenience unit.

Back