Another one on the workbench... 97' Santa Cruz Heckler

freddok

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
In the glorious days when I was racing local DH events on my Intense Uzzi SL I had a friend who had a Santa Cruz Tazmon imported from the US and even if I had a lot of fun with my Uzzi for many years (it's brothers is always on the workbench here...) I've always keep an eye on Santa Cruz bikes.
As the Tazmon is clearly hard to find I've been trying to find for a while an early Heckler frame but often on US fleaBay with silly shipping charges (and customs fees) or in bad condition.

And some weeks ago I've find one in UK at a correct price and condition so I put my finger on the Order button... Ok it's not a first generation but a cool 97' so with a clean build it'll do the trick ...

IMG_5692.jpg

As I could see on my Boulder Defiant build, old suspension frames always have surprises in store... On this one the rear bolt of the shock was bent and my only solution to disassemble the frame was to cut the bushings...:LOL: Not a big problem at all, with the correct measures and a good machinist...

IMG_5735.jpg

Surprise #2 was when once frame disassembled I wanted to strip the old paint on the rear triangle as my plan is to send the front for powder coating and polish myself the rear... I think that the previous owner had an old stash of black paint and applied it with a big brush... At least 0.8mm thickness of a flexy sticky paint !!
Take a look...:LOL:

IMG_5693.jpg

IMG_5695.jpg
IMG_5696.jpg

Even if it was a pain to remove it I'm close to the end, so stay tuned... 😉

We've had a couple of tazmons brought through the doors at work since I've been there. One guy actually was wondering if anyone was interested in it and I nearly bought it. Wish I did. Was many moons ago though and no idea who it was 😱🤦🏼

We've had a couple of tazmons brought through the doors at work since I've been there. One guy actually was wondering if anyone was interested in it and I nearly bought it. Wish I did. Was many moons ago though and no idea who it was 😱🤦🏼
Tazmon is clearly in my favorites top 10 frames of the mid 90's... 👍

I'd like one because it was the first SC, but I think I'd prefer to own a Mk1 Heckler, because my bro had one, and it was rad af

These do look fantastic - always liked the simple design, like an AMP on steroids. Looking forward to seeing this one progress.

Latest posts

Back