Another Atala

Re:

I think the original gearbox was fitted with a dedicated support ... not welded to the frame.
If you want you can create a bike "mezza corsa" by mounting the Campagnolo sports with a 4v gear box and put a pair of slim fenders, leaving the road bar ...

... this is just a wild guess ...

Re:

Thanks Callisto for the info and pics of the Atala frames in their original colour schemes. My other Atala bike has the Campagnolo dropouts like yours. Did you like the Atala frames on how they rode (handling)? Yes you are right that a previous owner has welded the gear mount on the dropout. I may cut it off and mount the derailleur using a gear hanger (as in pic) as I'm finding when I ride it too aggressively the wheel goes out of alignment even through when I have tightened the skewer really tight.

Attachments

• gear hanger.jpg
    gear hanger.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 349
Re:

This frame was not born for a very aggressive use ... the wheels are out of alignment for the lack of the adjustment screws, typical o road race dropouts ...

are you sure the locking pins are in good condition funzionaly?

however, if you want more performance takes patience
and calmly buy a real race bike! ;)

Re:

However, currently not cut off the welded support.
I would keep that ... even if it's not original ...

If you decide to turn it into a bike "sport" or "mezzacorsa" (with mudguards), then considerations would change!

Back