Another Atala

Re:

I going to paint in the grey Atala team colors with the blue brand decals and the chromed lugs and rear triangle exposed. A bit more conservative compared to the original bright green found beneath the previous paint job.

Old Ned":36klz6pk said:
DrewSavage":36klz6pk said:
Old Ned":36klz6pk said:
What an 'interesting' selection of gear ratios. I suspect there may be a bit of overlapping of ratios looking at the sprocket and chainwheel sizes.

Am I right? (or wrong as usual :roll: )

Pity it isn't one of the plastic GR rear mechs. To find one of those still in working condition would be a bonus!

Like this one?

I'll admit, I've not tried to ride it yet...

Oooh, now that is a 'collectors piece'. The one my mate had was (I think) white arms with black ends, something similar to the original Simplex Prestige.

Like this -

http://www.classicrendezvous.com/Italy/ ... lastic.htm

And also the Disraeli Gears website -

http://www.disraeligears.co.uk/Site/Gia ... le%29.html

Is it worth anything? I've decided to sell on the bike that it's attached to, but I might detach it if the derailleur might fetch a couple of bob on its own.

Re:

Just an update with some pics with the almost finished paint job. Decals and replacement headbadge applied and just need some more layers of clear coat. I was abit worried it might be a touch too light in the grey area but pretty happy with it in the end. I hand painted the lugwork using a small brush and Humbrol modelling paint. Also just got some Nuovo Record parts in the post the other day so that'll go on it instead of my Gran Sport gear.

Attachments

• bb.jpg
    bb.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 721
  • headbadge.jpg
    headbadge.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 721
  • headset.jpg
    headset.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 721
  • seattube.jpg
    seattube.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 721
  • frame.jpg
    frame.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 721
  • atalaframe.jpg
    atalaframe.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 721
Re:

That looks stunning :cool: What a transformation!

Can't wait to see more progress on the build ;)

Mike

Re:

Sneaked in some more progress between work commitments. Fresh bearings and grease on bottom bracket, wheel hubs and headset. All through the saddle that came with the bike is pretty shot I managed to tart it up a bit by cleaning up the brass rivets and applied some Brooks Proofide on the tough as boot leather. May get a Brooks B17 saddle when funds will allow. Cleaned up the unknown brand pedals as well as I could but still has signs of patina. The toe clip are the Italian brand Ale and the straps Gamvsso.

Attachments

• straps.jpg
    straps.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 653
  • saddle.jpg
    saddle.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 653
  • pedals.jpg
    pedals.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 653
  • headset.jpg
    headset.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 653
  • bb.jpg
    bb.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 653
  • frame.jpg
    frame.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 653
Re:

Ha! I'll just wear my amoured cycling shorts for protection if I decide to mount the steed :mrgreen:

Re:

Found out today that the jockey wheel cage of the Campy Nuovo Record rear derailleur will make contact with the spokes using the 4 speed freewheel. I think it is a combination of the welded on derailleur dropout being not completely straight and the Campy cage being abit more chunky compared to the Gian Robert pressed steel structure. Ended up using an old copy of an Italian spoke protector that usually is used for old derailleur systems like the Oscar or Vittoria Margherita which allowed the freewheel to be spaced further out.

Attachments

• spoke protector.jpg
    spoke protector.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 632
  • freewheel.jpg
    freewheel.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 632
Back