And today I did......

Re:

Also today I tried the newer generation SPD pedals with the wide platform (when I say "newer" I mean "newer" to me) wish I tried them sooner, very nice indeed.

Sounds like a good day all round then Rob, new gear and it all works well by the sound of it.

Jamie

I found a Cateye 100 something or other lying at the roadside near Banchory a few months back. One of those recharge via a USB jobs - very bright. Handy for dog walking but in a dodgy situation I will never trust any thing but my old Petzl with proper bulbs and batteries - utterly bombproof. New tech has yet to win my confidence in almost any circumstance.

Don't get me started on t'interweb either - superfast broadband my @rse..........

I gave my original oldy world petzl to my nephew, then offered to buy him a modern lightweight one for xmas, but he refused and said he loved the retroness of it.

Heart singing :cool:

Re:

Not about retro - about something that works and is simple to fix in an emergency. Had the Petzl since I was around 15 shit that's over 40 years ago! Used regularly and has never given up, spare double bulb carrier included and runs off either three C cell or four AA cell batteries with integral adapter thingy.

Most other torches including Maglite D cell ones have only lasted a decade before packing up :D :D

And those sh!te LED offerings are too hit n miss in terms of reliability to be worth anything unless you pay top dollar for high end ones, still no confidence in em. Whether charging (ok, bimbling) down a dark track or up 3,000ft in winter I won't be without my Canadian BLTs or Petzl, although I do use the LED shit as well - good when it works, dangerous when it doesn't.

rant over :facepalm:

Re:

Gotta be careful after nearly bonking the other week :shock:

Should rephrase as nearly getting The Bonk.........

Been getting some training in for Mr P's Loch Tay ride as I have been commuting the last couple of weeks through sometimes gale force winds and rain. Been dodging a good bit of it and catching others, so glass half full type stuff. 27 mile round trip on the Trucker with a single pannier with some clothes, breakfast, lunch etc. Heather was in town a couple of afternoons last week so met up and ended up putting the bike in the back of the car. Friday I was pleased as it was p'ing down and the wind was so strong that the waterfall off of Dunnet head was literally going upwards, nothing going down, it just went over the edge and blew back up and over. So did a bit over 100 miles last week and am up to high 70's so far for this week. Trucker handles it all with ease as usual, it's a comfortable setup and with guards I stay as dry as possible.
Looking forward to Loch Tay :)

Jamie

Re:

Good onya Jamie - I'd better get some miles in too. Had Panda 1 and Freddie the Collie staying with me over the last fortnight so got naff all done apart from advanced driving tuition and dug walking :)

Back