And today I did......

Re:

I've been trying to ignore it for about a week now but I've noticed a wee bit of a chill in the air and the Robins have started their warbling calls heralding the approach of autumn :?

Re: Re:

RobMac":1r61bros said:
I've been trying to ignore it for about a week now but I've noticed a wee bit of a chill in the air and the Robins have started their warbling calls heralding the approach of autumn :?

Fcuk me, thought I'd logged on to the nature watch website for a minute there!

Re:

I have just returned from SSUK17 the best single speed event I have done in a while :D

A fab low key affair in the Kentmere Valley near Staveley in the Lake District. Not much in the way of racing just loads of riding amongst Jaw Dropping scenery :cool:

There was a race but first you had to get to the start which involved a long run through great if steep scenery, loads of natural single track and some steep loose grin inducing descents to the first beer stop :D

Then came the hill climb challenge which by god was steep and long. A fellow on a trail motorbike made it look easy but only one guy made it half way up and how he got as far up as he did is miraculous :shock: Then down the other side on more grin inducing landie track to the start of the race and second beer stop :D :D

Race was one aand a half laps which involved a long farm track climb a fast very rocky but fabulous steep descent and then unfortunately the long upward bike push from hell and the infamous Bog of Doom which even the fat bikes had trouble with. Equally unfortunately the bike push and Bog of Doom were on both laps.Post Bog of Doom was a great switchback descent to where Wayne of the Beard from EdsBikes directed you where to go to complete lap one and have more beer. Then you set out on lap 2 which was the same until you met Wayne again who gave you a nip of single malt before sending you on another track downhill to the races finish. A half mile from the finish a pretty lass perched upon a gate directed you down the last stretch suggesting its nearly done and dusted and suggesting without saying so that the last bit was a breeze. Lying coo, it was half a mile of rock, bike swallowing ruts and loose rubble at a constant 45degree angle straight down :shock: Toughest section of a pretty tough but entirely rideable course.

The riding was great and a retrobike could handle it, mine did and I believe I may have had the oldest bike there. My Carrera Krakatoa 1992 did sport Maxxis DH tyres which centainly helped with their big volume and aggressive lugs. My really low 1.5 to 1 gear ratio was also not a hinderance and was often a boon, I got it right for once.

Back at camp of course involved lots of boozing around fire pits with a live band and good food. Next year is unfortunately the Isle of Wight which may be a tad too far away but we will see.

Those who were not there missed a truly great event !

Re:

Sounds awesome Velo :)

Better than my day at least.... :roll:

Attachments

• 20170902_104358-600x1067.jpg
    20170902_104358-600x1067.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 391
Back