And today I did......

Re:

Reg the Heckler its the front shocks I'm on about, I had thought about removing/blanking off the lock out switch.

Also regarding weighing the rest of the bikes .............................. I don't have the time to do them all :facepalm:

Why are you all so disrespectful to Robert? I tried to buy some wheels recently and despite his aggressive attitude, he eventually agreed to a deal.

Attachments

• D6EB5B43-5753-4980-9C76-48CF90F88546-420-000001392979B994.jpeg
    D6EB5B43-5753-4980-9C76-48CF90F88546-420-000001392979B994.jpeg
    44.9 KB · Views: 508
Re:

Woke up ready to go out on the road bike. Weather looked shite, cold, foggy. Went back to bed.
This afternoon the sun came out so I changed the forks on my Orange for the RC-30's, I'm going to get a shorter stem and riser bars for it, to make it more rideable, in its current state I don't really enjoy riding it with its stretched out cockpit and narrow flat bars.

Re:

Went for a ride on my road bike today after doing some upgrades/alterations. Dropped the big ring from 52 to 50, also changed cassette. The cassette was 9 speed and I'd rebuilt it last year by adding a 30 sprocket after dismantling it to re-arrange/change most of them to give ma auld legs a better chance of getting up 12+% hills. Found out that the brifters which are Ultegra 6600, are 2x10 speed but had indexed fine with the 9 speed cassette but with an extra click at bottom end of cassette. Duh, should have dawned on me way sooner. :facepalm:

So needed a new 10 speed cassette so got a 11-32, taking the chance the Ultegra 6600 short cage rear mech might not work over this range, think it's maximum sprocket is 27 with a total capacity of 29, front and rear difference combined, but it had worked fine with the 30 tooth and a total capacity of 32 with the 38-52 chainrings. Needed a new big ring anyway so got the 50 in an attempt at reducing the total capacity since I was adding 4 teeth over the maximum it's supposed to work with, it's now 33. A wee tweek of B-tension screw to move top pulley away from 32 sprocket and end stops to take in to account the wider cassette and it was indexing fine. There's still movement in cage when in big/big gears, not much but shouldn't be running in those gears for any length of time only by accident really.

Rides great, easier up hills but what about the 12% you ask, well it's definitely a tad easier but the final limiting factor is ME , bollocks, I'm too auld tae play this game. :roll:

Today I rode to work this morning on the Mercian. Loaded up with all my stuff for work I set off in glorious sunshine, a really beautiful morning. It was forecast to rain around 4pm and while it was meant to be a good amount, I thought I would still take my chances, might pass by the time I finish at half five. No chance, it just started bucketing about 2 minutes before I walked out :) wasn't bad and was still a nice ride home. I arrived home in glorious sunshine yet again, but you could see it raining all over the area, patches of sunshine or rain, everywhere you looked.
About 12 miles or so each way I think so at least I got in a ride.

Jamie

Re:

Today I did my mid week loop on the Genesis fitted with a loaded Ortlieb seat pack just to see how it behaves, flawless did move a inch and you could have forgotten it was there. I could feel the bike tail heavy when I picked it up but when I fit a bar bag that should help level it out.

Bike and gear designers are pretty good these days, the way some frames are designed to take and handle loads positioned in different places depending on it's targeted use, bikepacking, loaded touring, light touring etc. My Long Haul Trucker is a great handling machine but in a slow tourer type way but when it is fully loaded front and rear with bar bag as well, it handles beautifully, really neutral and there is no feeling of being heavy and unwieldy, just a rock steady ride. My Mercian, usually only carries my trunk bag but when I put the panniers on the other day for the 25mile commute I had to carry my boots, jacket etc as well as everything else as I left nothing at work the day before. I went to lift it out the door and thought the back end was heavy, put the bags on the scale and they were over 6 kilo, anyway, I thought this will be fun, as well as slow me up, but I never felt the weight at all, even on the long slug up out of town to work. I was really impressed, I have ridden some machines where you knew how many pencils were in the bag due to the way it handled.
The Genesis is designed to carry stuff and for carrying equipment, you can't go past Ortlieb. So between them you have a great setup that as long as it's packed evenly, should be about the best.
You will have to load it up and head up this way for a weekend ride this summer. I am trying to make as ort of randonnuer type campout weekend. Two days easy riding on dirt roads and singletrack tarmac/gravel and a nice wildcamp overnight. Sat late morning through to Sunday late lunch, give people time to get there and get home.

Jamie

Fitted gold mini mono covers to the brakes and while tightening one bolt, the blooming head chewed, though I reckon it wasnt overtightened, just worn and I got unlucky.

Spent the last 20 mins setting up the pillar drill to take the bolt head off, which it has and all is well with the world :D

Todays task - Setting up a wireless bike computer thingy :? Proving tricky as it seems the magnet needs to be very close to the sensor, and I think this is for road given mtb wheels/forks seem to be all about clearance. So the only spot close enough is near the spoke crossing and that must be too far in to work :?
I might be taking the pics to literally.

RSP Tio if anyone has that yin :)

Back