And today I did......

keithyr":2n4z1saw said:
Had a wee blast round abernethy wids wi Kaiser today, 15miles in under 2 hours, not macretro pace lol.
Had a wee blast round my mid week loop today, 20miles in under 2 hours, not Keithyr pace lol.
:mrgreen:

Re:

No today but last night, went up Benarty on my bike following my dearest and my lassie who were walking.
They went up the steps footpath and so did I about half an hour later.
There was much puffin' n' pechin' type pushin' up past the steps on the path but it took roughly the same time as going up from Blingry end which can be ridden all the way.
No bad riding conditions after the rain, no like Blairadam which is back to being a shitehole when I was in there through the week.

firedfromthecircus":1tsndvgr said:
You done the new path from Vane Farm to the Meedies yet? What's it like if so?

Yes, I've been up it a few times. It's wide but very steep in places, there are hairpin bends but for some reason they've not made the gradients in between walker friendly far less rider friendly. There are bits where it just goes straight up the hillside where they had room to continue on at an easier gradient to a hairpin instead but they've not done that. The drainage ditch on high side of path is bottomed with sandy material that was already washing away in places and will likely get washed down to the cross drainage pipes under path which then drain onto low side of path. If these get blocked the path is a goner.

It also doesn't go straight over to The Meedies, you'd need to descend the other side to either ride the road to Harran Hill or ride up the path on other side parallel to road to then descend down stepped footpath to lay-by opposite track to Harran Hill to get to The Meedies. There's another way but you'd have to go through Ballingry.

Re:

Took a "wrong turn" up Glenmuick and nearly ended up in Glen Clova :facepalm:

Oh well, at least the descent back down was worth it :LOL:

Kaiser and me did the ryovan loop today 26miles in 3.5hours. Did it the right way round up over the sluggan pass then round to ryovan (thanks clubby).

We found the singletrack downhill trails up the back of badaguish centre, some fantastic trails in there that go for ages on the downhill.

Re:

Been converting the Jones from Alfine to conventional gearing. Laced up the wheel a few nights ago in front of the TV, and finished it off this morning. Usually hate doing rears due to the dish, but this one took shape pretty easily. Just hope it lasts ok!
Hub was a NOS XT 6 bolt, cheap on eBay, and the rabbit hole rim I've re-used. The gear parts are off the Mojo, and I'm still using the single ring Middleburn cranks that came on the bike.
Couldn't finish off the build as the mech hanger I have doesn't fit. Jones ones were £24, but are the same shape as some Cube ones. Found what I thought was correct one on CRC for a tenner but I was wrong. Have ordered proper one from Bothy Bikes and away to check returns period for CRC as I've had it a while.

Can see the upsides of hub-gears, but not enough range for me. Wanted lower bottom end but was already at a point where I could spin out in top too easily on the flats, never mind downhill. Suppose the ultimate answer is a Rolhoff but that's way too spendy.

Re: Re:

clubby":3tnt6hu5 said:
Suppose the ultimate answer is a Rolhoff but that's way too spendy.

Surely not for a man of your means! :LOL:
Could do alfine with a Schlumpf up front as a slightly cheaper option.
Question is, what you going to do for winter? Just enjoy the sound of your drivetrain wasting away? :LOL:
I've been trying to work out my plan for this winter now my SS days seem behind me. El-Mar has been the main mountain bike recently but I can't bear that sound as the crud eats my gears. Can I live with the Moonie as my only off-road bike if we have another frost free winter? Not sure. :?

Back