Ally O Resto She Lives! Pics on Page 6...

Re: Ally O Resto first attempts

cocodemer":2h298nt1 said:
2013-08-27124347-1_zps53681bbd.jpg

Serious layback on that seatpost, what brand is it?

Re: Ally O Resto first attempts

So its been a busy time for the postie at demer towers

First off, a nice gentleman from the Bikestation in Perth - great source of parts BTW! - dropped off this loverly saddle...

TwBtdHS.jpg

LqRQqJy.jpg

nv3HNx1.jpg

which means the orange one has got to go. No problem for me that...

then the international postie came along with this, which has been pretty key to my idea of the whole build

WCNbXvK.jpg

2vbNyqs.jpg

which leads very nicely into these

Y4qOyD4.jpg

9bAaZVC.jpg

A bit on the short side, but the colour match is too good to pass up

Plus these!

1iARAAZ.jpg

Also coming along with the DX parts:

3byXfeS.jpg

a9IlyK1.jpg

1jsW8Se.jpg

then we come to the wheels

its a bit of a saga

I thought I had ordered 32 H rims, but just before I stripped the old hub off the rim, I thought I'd double check - 36H!! Nooooooo

I have got both the DX hubs, which were going to be ideal, but I decided to hunt around and see what was available in 36H hubs, and these nice XT numbers popped up

uzgxCfq.jpg

gbwtDlG.jpg

so I set about ordering the spokes, and hadnt really checked them over too well - note, dont be in a rush when you are sorting out parts for a wheel build!

The rear hub has a 126mm axle set up, and an unusual freehub, that I didnt recognise, probably just being ignorant but can anyone help me out with that one?

Anyway, the original hub from the bike has been robbed in order to get it to fit, which is annoying as I can't use the original seals from the rear drive side.

Also, I seem to have some spokes that are slightly too long, so I'm going to need to revisit the non drive side :(

But here is how the building went

jRba6n8.jpg

nWBmGEo.jpg

WTOOHJN.jpg

pz43mI3.jpg

mobKY55.jpg

QOZT4PW.jpg

PNzbq1W.jpg

4kbqEJb.jpg

So, still a work in progress on the wheels, but I'm well pleased with how they look, just need those tweaks and should be good to roll

Still on the hunt for the DX thumbshifters - if anyone has a pair that would fit the bill :)

Next up, the brakes, the tyres and the fitting it all together!!

Re: Ally O Resto getting somewhere

I have managed to sort out the rear wheel issues. For some reason, most of the non drive side spokes were protruding way to far, must have been some issue with my calculations.

I8djtzp.jpg

I used the Sapim spoke calculator, and have never had any issue with that before, but for some reason, the non drive side was out. Unless I have made a big lacing error, which i can't see. Anyway, they got chopped down and rethreaded, and now we have a working wheel. Yasss.

4WeNsVq.jpg

X8QgKve.jpg

The rest of the weeks work has been bit of polishing for the rear mech and the cranks, and fitting the first two rings - I have gone with Stronglight new black round rings, as I couldn't find any decent old black ones.

The keen eyed will notice there a few non period parts on this build - I just want it to work well, and ride well, and to me it looks pretty sharp. There's a special little inner chainring bonus on its way :cool:

I also fitted some blue jockey wheels in the mech, but they area bit big, might need to do some manipulating of the rear cage, or maybe revert to black - TBC

qqgN4KN.jpg

4gm1uNB.jpg

9MAafdx.jpg

UAbeRsf.jpg

LwHb9JS.jpg

llJW0MO.jpg

A wee tidy up of the BB threads..

a4e8Cj9.jpg

hjTHslU.jpg

and time to start hanging some bits!

Mh9IMd6.jpg

This is a truly exciting time - the first time she has sat on rubber in about 6 years. wee bit emotional...

k7JpCZV.jpg

J2bu4bt.jpg

Time to tidy up the brakes, and get the front mech on...

Re: Ally O Resto getting somewhere

Thanks dudes

I have been doing some work to the brakes this week. They are Magura HS33s in blue. I think they are quite a bit more modern than the bike, but still pre the Evo 2 Mounts.

I've been having a bit of difficulty trying to find an exploded diagram, or manual for them, just to make sure the bolt kit I have ordered will fit, I guess time shall tell. I contacted Magura to ask if they hold anything from that era on file, but no response as yet. I'll post an update if I hear anything. All the relevant stuff I can find refers to post 2005 brakes, so if anyone has anything on file for this age of brake, I'd appreciate any advice in terms of bolts kits and set up advice.

Anyway, I have tried polishing up the the mounts as best as I can, but they are not for shining up, the QR levers polish up really well, but the mount bodies don't really, so I have had to do with a good clean, and will rebuild them with new rubber washers, pads, and bolts.

Here's how they look at present:

ZiL6K1r.jpg

mNcCFzX.jpg

z5w1i1A.jpg

They look a bit cleaner now, so I will be fitting them as soon as the parts arrive, assuming it all goes to plan

Have the chain and cassette too, as well as the inner ring, so I ought to be able to get the gearing set up, the shifters are on and the front mech is ready to go.

Re:

That looks amazing so far!
I also love the tan wall nobby nics, modern with a retro twist..to go with the retro with a modern twist bike..Awesome work!

Re: Re:

pencilman77":348jg6ny said:
That looks amazing so far!
I also love the tan wall nobby nics, modern with a retro twist..to go with the retro with a modern twist bike..Awesome work!

Cheers! That's kind of what I was thinking, I did get some older tyres, but these fit the paintwork quite well I reckon

Plus 6 hours at Pitmedden is going to need some kind of grip if the recce last week is anything to go by :|

A few more wee jobs done recently:

The inner chainring arrived, couldn't believe anyone had a 74 BCD 5 hole 24t Blue chainring sitting around but check out what arrived in the post this week!! Cheers Iain
Also fitted the front mech, had to stick a longer bolt in as the powder coating is quite thick, but it has tightened up no bother

TNkknDp.jpg

I had put the cable guide for under the BB somewhere safe, but 6 years on, turns out it is just too safe.

I had a dig around in the crates however and check out this beaut - couldn't be better!

al1Eblg.jpg

When we were discussing the chainring, the seller kindly pointed me in the direction of some Ritchey clipless pedals, which tone in pretty well - too good to pass up being NOS. Cheers again!

nvncHoF.jpg

HE1q7RX.jpg

QaiT8RE.jpg

Pretty pleased with this little lot. The chain and cassette are here, but still to sort the jockey wheels problem, I might revert back to the black ones till I can get the right size of blue ones. Might have the gears set up tomorrow

Found a good manual for the brakes, but I'm still not sure if I can retro fit the evo 2 mounts, I know I can get away without them, but should hear back from Magura if its an option. Might fit them as they are anyway, and if its possible could always add them later.

Latest posts

Back