Orange Aluminium O , now purple anodised, pics page 3! update 01/12/23

@wadsy from what i can tell, the original anodised frames were the same as the standard from but ball burnished, then anodised, hence the original finish is a more polished smooth tubed anodised, obvs as this one was painted originally it was never ball burnished, so this finish on the actual tube is the raw aluminium finish, to get an original style finish i'm not sure who i could go to to get that done, som the rough finish is the best option i have, but i think it looks good.

Any alloy wheel place will have hall burnishing equipment, my uncle in law worked at a foundry and they had a huge tank which he offered to run my Santa Cruz through - should have taken him up on the offer!

ok so i have a little movement on this now, found an old Marzocchi star fork, managed to find a longer steerer, fitted it with an m737 XT headset, picked up some m737 hubbed wheels with 231 rims, no i'm not one for factory spec, i tend to go "ball park" for my builds, so i got some Pananracer Fire XC tyres because they are right-ish and they were pretty cheap, i found a flexstem, nest is to hunt out a bit more XT m737, the [post etc is not staying, it's just in there to clamp in the stand.

anyway, here's a pic

aluminium o.jpg

@rwm1962 well to be honest i don't ride retro much these days, i like building them and the search for bits more than the riding of these bikes, i tend to roll up to the local brewery on them etc

That looks nice, reminds me of a rudy project frame I had, Matt finish purple anno too.

Out of interest, how much does it cost to get a frame anodised? I have an RTS I'm thinking of getting done. I've had it modified to disc only and bush to bearing conversion and want to do something different.

@ishaw paint strip was 40, had to remove the bottle bosses etc, ano was 60, then refit the bottle bosses, comparable to a basic paint job

Thanks, that sounds very reasonable. Assume you had to remove the bosses as steel? If alu, ok to leave in situ? Any reason you chose to get your frame prepped by someone rather than DIY? I imagine it's a lot of effort.

@ishaw yeah i drilled out the bottle bosses, had a local company strip the paint, i haven't got the patience, and well . . . £40 . . . i'll pay that every time!!

Back