Ally O Resto She Lives! Pics on Page 6...

Re: Ally O Resto first attempts

sanding off the last of the paint...
on the dining room rug
2013-11-17211149_zps1d0ce7a9.jpg

and near a picture

2013-11-17211306_zpsf195c125.jpg

Still a lot of sanding to go, and then maybe go shopping for some paint

Nice!...... I ran an elite for ages, and that brings back the memories!....personally I wouldn't try to bring back the old bike. Create fresh memories with this one instead. Dossa's looks wicked doesn't it? The orange on black looks great. My immediate thought was the pic from the '91 catalogue though, in the orange and white as you got it is THE iconic colour for an orange. This frame was available in it, their first pure race frame, and it would get my vote any day......especially if you can get anywhere near sinnerman's result with his resprayed clockwork, have a look for motivation.......best of luck....lovely bike, I want it in my collection!......

Ive not done too much paint removal and seems I might have gone a bit deep in places getting the remnants of stickers off with the wiry drill head thing, left a few deep scratches, seem to be getting most ofthe worst of it by working through the wet n dry grades. But making work for myself! Be careful out there with the power tools

I normally find that white spirit does the business when removing old stickers. Looking forward to seeing this one come together.

Regards

So...I now have an 18 month old son, and a bike still in bits in the loft :)

Have any of you retrobikers out there painted an aluminium O in the matt silver/grey colour that was the original from my BITD bike?
I have tried contacting Orange to see if they would have a code for it, but with no reply so far. As I recall it was a light silver with a matt finish, can anyone confirm? Without an original frame to compare to, any suggestions of how I can get a paint match?

Mon the O!

Re:

Congratulations on your boy. Mine is coming up to 2 and although he takes up all my time he's ace. :cool:

As for the paint.... My dream rebuild is a 1992 Clockwork in that colour but none ever turn up. As you suggest, the actual colour was not simply silver or grey but a real mix. I've seen many come close to matching it but never seen close enough for me to use. Good luck and let me know if you get a match.

Oh, and Orange don't hold the records anymore. :cry:

Why don't you have it painted in a Titanium finish if you don't have any look finding the the colour match your after ..

Re:

Still stuck on the paint thang. I have hummed and hawed about this for a long time. I reckon its worth asking, is there anyone out there with one of these in the original matt silver? And would you fancy dropping it into your local spray shop to try and get a colour match? Well if you dont ask...:)

There's been progress on this build!.....

If you have been awaiting an update on this with baited breath, its been 5 long years since it began, and at least 3 since the frame was consigned to the rafters, with vague hopes of resurrection, so obviously thanks for your patience :eek:
Turns out two toddlers, a full time job and lots of riding bikes keeps your hands full, who'd have thought it

I had concluded that I wasn't going to get the time to do the full respray myself, so with some reticence I started to look around for other options.
I had thought about going to the local spray shop, and had gone so far down that route, when I had a chance chat with one of the guys at Orange, and the possibility of having the frame repainted in one of the up to date colours came up.

I had severe doubts about the wisdom of my decision, as it's not period correct, but as I had completed my Muddy Fox build in full period detail, I decided I don't mind this taking a slightly different direction. And while it might not look as it did, it does keep the lineage true to the bike's history, and it was nice to know it was going back to it's roots for a full spruce up.

Anyway, sent away a few weeks back, and when this arrived the other day....

t6c8ZDr.jpg

I was suitably excited and a bit apprehensive. Shouldn't have worried. I think it looks the absolute bomb, in Fizzy Orange with blue decals. Finish on the frame is absolutely pukka, can't emphasise how good it looks in the flesh - these pics do it no justice. Probably not everybodys cup of tea, but I'm well pleased

mWnMi9y.jpg

6zBCRbg.jpg

yZHxdjW.jpg

vorLWLu.jpg

EaGnwtm.jpg

So....what now??

First up is finding a headset, the old XT one was well worn, so it needs something bit smarter - the forks are here too in matching shiny

1 1/4 is proving a bit trickier to find

Then who knows? I've got in mind a DX build, with Magura HS33s, and some dark Mavic rims, but am completely open to whatever looks awesome. My original bike was DX equipped, but its taken a bit of an shift to the left field, so am going to have a big fat cup of tea and a think.

ETA is early April, for a retro 6 hour race, so got a wee bit of contemplation time :)

Back