Alloy frames going "dead"...

Years ago when I replaced my Explosif frame (and put it in the loft) it was because the ride had gone like a wet noodle.

When I took it out of the loft five years or so ago I through the wrecked Manitou Mach5 forks in the bin and fitted the original Project II's.

No more wet noodle... it was the forks all along.

My 1999 Trek 8900 "Aluminium Alloy" frame now has a dead feeling to it when compared with my Balfa, Lloyd, Kona and Nicolai... but the elastomers in the forks are from 1999 and the brace is cracked so it's hardly surprising it feels rubbish compared with more modern combo's.

Could it simply be ageing components that give an old bike that's had a hard life a dull feeling - forks and maybe wheels/tyres in particular?

In my case it probably has more to do with the layers of mud building up to the point that the thing simply weighs too much.

My M2 S-works went dead in a big way - death crack through the head tube.

My steel bikes are great, and I prefer the way steel rides anyway!

I did read something once about alu having a finite tolerance to stresses - steel by comparison, as long as stresses are kept below a certain point have far greater tolerance.

frames going soft?:roll:

That's rubbish. A myth. Full blown tomfoolery. Don't be bamboozled. If you think your bike has gone soft, you've been hornswaggled. (help me out here...I've run out of synonyms! :LOL: )

legrandefromage":mm9hdprm said:
My steel 531 '70s Peugeot PX10 was a git to ride untill stomping up a hill one day, something went 'ping' and the whole bike became alive once more...

Are you sure it wasn't your legs that went ping?

Perhaps you got fit - all of a sudden.

Or the caffeine kicked in ;) :)

Old Ned":r61raux5 said:
legrandefromage":r61raux5 said:
My steel 531 '70s Peugeot PX10 was a git to ride untill stomping up a hill one day, something went 'ping' and the whole bike became alive once more...

Are you sure it wasn't your legs that went ping?

Perhaps you got fit - all of a sudden.

Or the caffeine kicked in ;) :)

The siezed BB free'd off... :D :D

cherrybomb":3v04432v said:
andrewl":3v04432v said:
jez-4-bikes-max":3v04432v said:
Back in the day I remember reading in MTB mags about how alloy frames were reknown for...

Sorry to be pedantic, but can we please stop using the word alloy as a replacement for aluminium alloy, otherwise we could be talking about any metal alloy frame... ;)

I think that people know that folks are referring to aluminium alloy frames when they say "alloy".

Just like we know that they mean steel alloy when they say "steel"

Steel is an alloy already so does not need to be refered to as steel alloy (that would be Iron alloy).
Aluminum is an element, so does need to be refered to as an alloy if it's mixed up with stuff.

Though it's normaly abreviated to Alu or its element abreviation Al, same as for Titanium Tit* or Ti.

Just seems some poeple on here used Alloy for Alu and it's caught on, bloody irritates me as well. So go ahead and keep using it, it's better than using Ali :LOL:

*though I'm sure that is more for the giggles.

I dont think its possible for anyone compare how a 15 year old bike felt 15 years ago on 15 years younger legs. We are now riding bikes far more advanced and comfy and I think this can distort memories. its not the bike that now rides sloppy I think its the memories of being far more agile back in the day that make you think the bike must of been faster/more liveley in the 90s and nothing to do with the rider being half his age at the time.

Back