Alloy frames going "dead"...

jez-4-bikes-max":dwi60hla said:
Back in the day I remember reading in MTB mags about how alloy frames were reknown for...

Sorry to be pedantic, but can we please stop using the word alloy as a replacement for aluminium alloy, otherwise we could be talking about any metal alloy frame... ;)

andrewl":2y4u2vza said:
jez-4-bikes-max":2y4u2vza said:
Back in the day I remember reading in MTB mags about how alloy frames were reknown for...

Sorry to be pedantic, but can we please stop using the word alloy as a replacement for aluminium alloy, otherwise we could be talking about any metal alloy frame... ;)

I think that people know that folks are referring to aluminium alloy frames when they say "alloy".

Just like we know that they mean steel alloy when they say "steel"

and carbon, graphite, glass fiber composite when they say "carbon". ;) :D

cherrybomb":2rsh4oqq said:
I think that people know that folks are referring to aluminium alloy frames when they say "alloy".

Your forgot Ti and magnesium alloys too ;)

andrewl":3e3l4zr3 said:
cherrybomb":3e3l4zr3 said:

Your forgot Ti and magnesium alloys too ;)

So you did know! ;)

Amazing.

I'm amazed that someone who has owned a frame over a long period of time would be able to tell if the frame had 'gone off' gradually over say 15 years. I'm not saying that it couldn't happen, just that it would be amazing!

cherrybomb":2ttp1t1q said:
So you did know! ;)

Yes I know Jez is asking - I also said I was being pedantic too ;)

Anyway I have read reference to different steel alloys apparently changing in ride quality through there lifetime in old 70s road bike mags which tried to tell which tube set to choose for your frame etc etc.

I don't know if there was any science to it then or not (unless you let your frames rust), but I wouldn't be surprised if an ill informed MTB writer regurgitated the story passed on through the generations either.

Latest posts

Back