All going wrong - rear mech attachment Q

Re:

I'm off to sort that out now... but I'm beginning to think I'm trying to fit a 1990s quart into a 1980s pint pot. Or vice versa.

I kind of got it. Of course, we know, with some of the French bikes, the claws bolts right into the dropout where one puts the wheel axle in. Not in one of the holes. That probably is not the problem but I've seen that occur before; also as said in the previous post:

"Have you tried unbolting the 'claw' and seeing if the mech fits directly to the frame?"

If I can source this other cycling discussion: http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vinta ... ement.html Possibly a similar situation.

So,if one just doesn't want to use a claw for some reason, there may not be anything to do here.

I'd think Suntour or something.

I've just tried an old Sachs-Huret mech and its the right bolt size to fit into the normal mech hanger on a modern frame

same as

DSCF0452.jpg

Re:

If you can find any serial number or details of headtube,forks,rear dropouts, top of the seat tube,rear brake bridge, ect... That can help identify what it could be. Did you get the whole bike or frame and parts? Quart and pint pot lol, sleep deprivation and hair loss is all part of the fun :)

Re: Re:

COUPES":l0is2pwr said:
If you can find any serial number or details of headtube,forks,rear dropouts, top of the seat tube,rear brake bridge, ect... That can help identify what it could be. Did you get the whole bike or frame and parts? Quart and pint pot lol, sleep deprivation and hair loss is all part of the fun :)

Parts? You want PARTS? I'll give you parts:

Frame = whatever it is but resprayed 531 tubing
Fork = Vitus 979
Stem = Cinelli 1A
Bars = 3TTT Tour de France Due
Brake levers = Mafac
Brake calipers = Galli
Front mech = Shimano 600 Tricolor
Rear mech = Shimano Dura-Ace 7402
Shifters = Simplex (hurrah, originals perhaps)
Cranks = SR
Front wheel = Maillard hub from 1983, prob Mavic rim
Rear wheel = Ambrosio rim, unbranded hub
Block = Regina
Headset = Campag
Seatpost = Campag
Seat = Bontrager

Dropout/hanger (hole 10mm):

Simplex mech I assumed would fit because knew no better (inc bolt 6mm diam if took claw off):

Front mech bracket (I assume after market as NO Pug I've seen has a braze on):

I hope I can find a Huret if it works, sounds ideal.

Attachments

• bikpe.png
    bikpe.png
    133.3 KB · Views: 407
  • Hole.jpg
    Hole.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 407
  • rearrear.jpg
    rearrear.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 407
  • braze.jpg
    braze.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 407
Re:

I may have an answer ??
undo the 6mm bolt. This will reveal a bolt (6mm), a female part that the bolt screws into and the claw. The hex nut showing on your mech is part of the female "nut". Put this female "nut" into the dropout - (it wont thread in) and screw the 6mm bolt into the female part and your mech is in situ. Hold the hex part with a spanner and tighten up the allen key bolt (the 6mm bolt) with an allen key
job done

(assuming (a) you understand my jibberish and (b) I have interpreted the parts correctly

Back