Air Forks advice wanted please (SID's) with pics

That might explain things a bit then, had a quick ride and they were ok

Will have to try and work out what the right pressure is for my 13 stone and get the sag sorted with the old zip tie method

Cheers

Hi there,

Those are not to my eyes SID Dual Air, but a pair of 1998 with later lowers.

You need a copy of the original SID manual as that is what you have, although someone has put a later set of lowers on there I would not worry too much, a few did it to get disc mounts and samurai seals, some felt it compromised bushing placement, but this was rubbish as you could shim later 80mm travel SIDs with a plastic spacer included with the fork.

You do not have a negative air spring, and if you did it would be clear by the inclusion of a schraeder air valve on the bottom of the fork leg.

Of course it would need more pics, as those have clearly been built up with odd parts, but it does look like a pair of 1998 uppers and needle valve tops.

Here is where you can find a manual PDF,
http://www.birota.ru/manuals/rockshox/u ... /98sid.pdf

Be aware that if you are going to take them apart, it is worth getting replacement crush washers and seals, as these are easily damaged.

Steve

sastusbulbas":17uhuy38 said:
You need a copy of the original SID manual as that is what you have, although someone has put a later set of lowers on there.

Yup. looks like these are original ones from the crown. was going to say they had new decals and paint, but a new set of lowers would make more sense.

I may be wrong, but I was under the impresion most SID's have remained fairly unchanged under the skin over the years.

Neg air valve would be a shraeder at the bottom of one leg.

Personally I run mine at about 70psi (quite hard).

Thanks for that, would make sense having new lowers because they have a 1in Steerer and probably why they did a mix and match.

Seem to work fine and are in good nick, so not worrying too much, got a TF Tuned sticker on and wondering if they got Tim to do the modification, hope so :)

Just bought a shock pump with needle adapter, so will see how it goes

Thanks again for the advice and pointers
Cheers
Rich

regarding air pressure, I would recommend trying as Wu-T mentioned 70psi maybe 80psi and see how you get on. You put an equal amount of air in each leg.

Negative spring is internal, and explained in the manual. (It can be removed to save weight LOL)

They also need regular servicing with good quality synthetic 15w fork oil. To work their best, so if any work is being done be prepared first with seals and such.

I am sure 13 stone is borderline on needing a heavy damped cart? If it rebounds too quickly that may be why. (Unless cart is blown)

Back