Wanted Cheap fork with long straight 1 1/8 steerer

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Last year I built a bike for a friend. It started out as a cheap FB Marin, but needed a fair bit of work. I ended up replacing most of the parts with bits from my stash, and refurbed the rest. Turned out quite nice aside from the forks, which were crappy scyc affairs and weigh a ton.

He was well happy with the bike, but he's after a higher rise stem which I'm sorting, but if like to also rid him of the low rent forks as I think it will transform the bike and they are the only bad component on the bike now, and aside from wheels, the only bit I didn't replace.

The challenge is, he's very tall, and the frame is an XL, so I am looking for a fork with s straight 1 1/8 steerer of 215mn plus (I can't remember exactly, possibly even 230mm). It also needs v bosses. I'd have happily donated any of my spare forks, but none had long enough steerers.

I'm not to fussy on options, I'm fronting it as a gift so prefer not to blow too much. Anything would be better than what's on there now. I'd prefer something that's fit and forget, so probably coil or elastomer to save him having to worry about air pressures. He's not the kind of guy to maintain his bike after a ride, so something that won't end up with rusty chrome stanchions would be helpful.

No need for adjustability but a bonus if it is there.

26 inch qr wheel.

Anyone got anything!

Ive a new onza tuff guy fork.

It is disc of magura but uncut steerer at 260mm 1 1/8". Heavier than standard but then it is 4130 tig welded cro-mo. 26" etc.
maybe not exactly what you were looking for but its a big strong fork, and if your mate is a big chap, it might be a better suit.,

Sorry for the delay wife got taken ill.

Attachments

• IMG_0223.jpeg
    IMG_0223.jpeg
    615.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0224.jpeg
    IMG_0224.jpeg
    617.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0225.jpeg
    IMG_0225.jpeg
    628.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0226.jpeg
    IMG_0226.jpeg
    669.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0227.jpeg
    IMG_0227.jpeg
    882.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0228.jpeg
    IMG_0228.jpeg
    463.6 KB · Views: 16
Ive a new onza tuff guy fork.

It is disc of magura but uncut steerer at 260mm 1 1/8". Heavier than standard but then it is 4130 tig welded cro-mo. 26" etc.
maybe not exactly what you were looking for but its a big strong fork, and if your mate is a big chap, it might be a better suit.,
Thanks, he's tall and slim plus magura only iis not going to work. Appreciate the offer though.

Sorry for the delay wife got taken ill.
Sorry to hear, hope your wife is feeling better.

The length of the forks might just be ok, but can't help but think a Saracen owner would be better off with them than my intended use on a Marin.

Thanks, he's tall and slim plus magura only iis not going to work. Appreciate the offer though.
Sorry. Disc OR magura. I got the spelling wrong, damned falling to bits keyboard.

And who doesn't want a front disc at least. V's are fine but we've all been through the era and know the real truth about rim brakes, properly set up or otherwise ;)

Sorry to hear, hope your wife is feeling better.

The length of the forks might just be ok, but can't help but think a Saracen owner would be better off with them than my intended use on a Marin.
Thanks dude, she’s in with them so give me a rest LOL.

They look amazing on any bike. We’re moving so they can’t come with me

Back