Re:

CRC have a very cheap ritchey logic 1" ISO threaded headset for about a tenner. I can't paste a link right now though as their site isn't working at the moment.

I have one here in black - they do a silver one too, i think.

The Ritchey Logic headset I took off is in excellent order, but I wanted to replace it with something a little nicer.

I've not decided exactly what would be the best fit yet - I might wait and see what I find in the way of cranks first.

Re:

Try looking at the Velo Orange range, they have a couple of 1" threaded headsets.

I used the threadless Grand Cru on one of my builds, it's a smart and well made bit of kit.

Re:

Very reasonable weights indeed - as well you might expect given the builder's pedigree - but still nice to have it confirmed! :)

Like all my builds, this is currently on hold while I have no money.

The plus side is that's giving me longer to think about it and make decisions.

Having carefully thought through what might be the most restrictive part of the build, I've been thinking about cranks. As far as I can ascertain, the threadless Mavic bottom brackets that this came with one of should be ISO taper. So in theory I would be better off with an ISO crankset. However, it came with an Alivio crank with appear to fit fine.

Does anyone with experience of the Mavic bottom brackets know whether they are comfortable with both?

I'm edging towards using a compact(ish) road crank on it and running a double ring setup which I'm hoping should still provide a wide enough range of gearing. In which case, I'd probably be tempted to use a few more road bits on it too. Any pitfalls I should be aware of, other than capaticty and maximum sprocket size for the rear derailleur?

Re:

Don't take this as gospel, but I'm pretty sure that if you fit a JIS crank to an ISO taper BB, then it just sits a bit further outboard than it would on proper taper, 3-5mm rings a very vague bell. Sheldon is your man for actual reliable info though! :LOL:

ISO taper sounds like a perfect excuse for some Campag to me though... :cool:

Re: Re:

elPedro666":2uza1zcb said:
ISO taper sounds like a perfect excuse for some Campag to me though... :cool:

Well, if you insist ....... I have to say, I'm tempted by a Campagnolo Victory chainset, especially if I can find one in 175mm variety.

Having ridden my fluted bike a couple of times recently, which has a double chainset on it, I think with the correct size chain rings it should work.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back