Seen plenty of Aende road and TT frames but never knew he built frames like that........ typical Aende Drilling :) At least you get a chainstay bridge, we roadies didn't get them and they used to break LOL

Shaun

PS He never numbered frames to escape the taxman !

Another dumb question, and not specifically on this frame, but why do some of these late 80s bikes have a bolt on the seatstays instead of them being welded/brazed? What purpose does that serve?

I've been trying to find some more parts for this. It has just struck me, whilst looking for headsets that I don't know whether it is ISO or JIS. Can anyone give me any pointers? I don't have any vernier callipers to measure it. Any idea whether the Ritchey Logic Comp only came in one standard or was it available in both?

Also, I have a few ideas, but any suggestions on headset? Ideally, I want something silver and a bit different (i.e. probably not Shimano).

Re:

A nice Stronglight headset would look the part IMO

Re:

If it's a Ritchey Logic headset then I think it is most likely ISO.

Sheldon Brown's web site may give you a definitive answer.

Ritchey Logic parts were used by a lot of UK mtb frame builders around the late 80's early 90's, so that could well be the original fitting.

Do you have a spare, known, crown race kicking aroud the workshop/shed/front room* to try on it? Guess not else you'd have tried it already...

*delete as applicable

Re:

I have an AENDE mtb frame waiting in line to be done. It has a ritchey logic headset - so I'd say it was probably standard fitment for Pongo.

Thanks for all the replies. The Syncros one is a nice design, but I'll need a threaded headset.

A Stronglight one is a good suggestion and may well fit in with the other components. I suspect then, that it's ISO, but good suggestion elPedro, I have got one or two 1" headsets around, so I can test it with one once I've taken the the Ritchey one out :)

If it is ISO, I guess that gives me more choice and I may even have one of two around.

I've taken off the Ritchey headset and given everything a little clean (more serious cleaning to come). It's a shame the paintwork has so many scuffs.

I tried some Ofmega Super Competizione headset cups, which fitted perfectly, so I guess that means it is ISO, so I can start looking our for a nice silver headset.

Weighed the frame and forks now they are separate and they came in at 1850g and 730g respectively.

I have a seatpost on the way and a few parts gathered up, so I'll start working out what I still need to get.

Back