Bottom bracket thoughts - Mavic sealed out, maybe Royce titanium in

Seca Blue

Retro Guru
As I'm sending the frame off for an overhaul and replacing the seattube, I thought now would be a good time to think about the bottom bracket.
Was chamfered for a Mavic sealed job when I got it 30 years ago and that same bb is in there now. Can't argue with it's dependability...

What are alternatives like a titanium Royce like for proper everyday offroad use? As durable, dependable, sealed as well etc?

I've only even had the Mavic so honestly have no idea. Thanks,

D.

Nice, good to read that you're taking the plunge with the seat tube :)

Certainly Royce are a good bet, I'm a fan of Hope tapered bottom brackets as well. Both have been tried and tested offroad by many on here. You just need to keep the pin tool for adjusting the cups safe somewhere..

Having said that, if the Mavic isn't broke then it's as good as any. Obviously it has already been well tested in your ownership!

Probably a daft question, but presumably your current BB shell is running enough thread for other units and not just tailored for the Mavic?

Nice, good to read that you're taking the plunge with the seat tube :)

Certainly Royce are a good bet, I'm a fan of Hope tapered bottom brackets as well. Both have been tried and tested offroad by many on here. You just need to keep the pin tool for adjusting the cups safe somewhere..

Having said that, if the Mavic isn't broke then it's as good as any. Obviously it has already been well tested in your ownership!

Probably a daft question, but presumably your current BB shell is running enough thread for other units and not just tailored for the Mavic?
Yes well, it's nearly stripped down now, I've had a bit of a mental block about committing to the work versus just getting a frame elsewhere, but I 'think' I'm gonna send off next month.
New seattube, rotate the seat clamp and possibly shave a few mud guard bosses off as I'll never use them.

The thing with the Mavic is it'll be pretty tricky to replace it when it packs up. I will say, that and the Paris Dakar hubs have extraordinarily durable. 35 years without needing a service (I did do the hub bearings last month though).
So, onto the next point, you might well be right, it's only a small chamfer, so in reality, it might not stop me using another bb anyway, I just didn't think it would be a good idea, and would look untidy with the thread protruding.

Need to look at weight too, if I can save a bit without worrying about durability I'm all for it. BB is under a lot of stress though so whatver it is has to be manly enough.

Latest posts

Back