Advice

jmm

Dirt Disciple
looking for a retro mountain bike but unsure what to go for,when i was a teenager rode my mountain bike everywhere but it was only a townsends shitter.Was never into the more expensive ones so its hard now what to go for...
I ride everyday now on a hybrid and gary fisher hardtail but want something cool and old skool just to ride for pure fun...?
Coulpe of guys i know on here are big into there amps and marins but fear there bit out of my reach atm...
Seen a trek carbon mountain on ebay finishing in an hour,looks a good base...??

advice or tips welcomed

thanks andy

Hi Andy,it all depends on what you like really,and what type of riding you're into and of course your budget. Personally I love my proflex bikes having a 4000 and an animal,with a96 beast waiting to be restored :LOL:
Good luck with your search

spudgun":1300ps8e said:
Hi Andy,it all depends on what you like really,and what type of riding you're into and of course your budget. Personally I love my proflex bikes having a 4000 and an animal,with a96 beast waiting to be restored :LOL:
Good luck with your search

Riding wise then nothing hard core,it`d be more a leisure cruise type of bike and then batter the hell out the gary fisher..!!
Money wise as cheap as possible for something which needed a mild restoration,
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Trek-9800-OCLV-Mo ... 20ae721f02

this one seems a good base...? comments

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I'm not a Trek fan myself, but I'd say that would be an interesting frame to own and it could be quite a bargain, depending on the level of the reserve that hasn't yet been reached.

I've no idea of the longevity of early Trek OCLV frames, nor the Trek-branded fork, but the full Shimano Deore XT, X-Lite seat pin, Flite Titanium saddle and Pace Hubs with Mavic rims (also included are the original Deore XT wheels) is a reasonably valuable lot of kit.

It's pick up only, so you can check that it's all as per description before you hand over any money, so you shouldn't go far wrong.

orange71":2tbferbk said:
what's your budget?

couple hundred pounds max really,like i said looking for something just to start out with..but do like the look of the trek.

Surely this is the sort of question only you yourself can answer? What did you like back in the day?

Also you'll perhaps be limited by your budget, certainly won't be getting you a mid range Kona or GT these days I'm afraid :?

If you can bag that Trek for 2 that would be a damn fine price but hardly a 'cruising' sort of frame....

John":3ak1b5h2 said:
Surely this is the sort of question only you yourself can answer? What did you like back in the day?

Also you'll perhaps be limited by your budget, certainly won't be getting you a mid range Kona or GT these days I'm afraid :?

If you can bag that Trek for 2 that would be a damn fine price but hardly a 'cruising' sort of frame....

Thats the problem most threads i read on here start with ``i had this bike when i was young..!!````but i never really got into mountain bikes that deep.. it was bmx`s upto the age of 12-13 then mountain bikes started coming out and i got an average one.

jmm":3s22xy2o said:
John":3s22xy2o said:

Thats the problem most threads i read on here start with ``i had this bike when i was young..!!````but i never really got into mountain bikes that deep.. it was bmx`s upto the age of 12-13 then mountain bikes started coming out and i got an average one.

Well, if there's nothing at all you lusted after back in the day why not take a look through 'readers bikes' and see what catches your eye :cool:

Back