Advice, 90ies MTrax/RSP or equiv or Modern steel Hardtail?

ibbz

Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Karma King
Dyna-Tech Fan
Feedback
View
I need some advice,

I used to have a lovely Raleigh M Trax (2000 I think) back in 99, (stolen) and currently I ride a Carrera Bugaboo (Merida LRS 2 rebranded - as I upgraded the gears/brakes and suspension to a manitou SPV) , which is all nice enough but I want another steel framed hard tail.
I find the full suspension pretty boring, and though it's light weight, it is no way as light as my old bike, and it just doesn't feel right.

Should I look out for another M Trax with Reynolds Cromoly frame? Or an RSP 450 (with Reynolds 853)
Or an equivalent bike from the 90ies? (any ideas or suggestions)

Or should I look out for a modern type of steel framed Hard tail?
Would the On One Inbred be a good bet?
Any other suggestions I could pick up second hand?
My budget would be around £300 quid +/- depending.

The only riding I do is on trails through Epping Forest, Walthamstow/Leyton marsh and along the River lea near my home.

I loved the M Trax as it was extremely light and just a pleasure to ride.

Cheers

Ibbs

What length bounce do you want up front? If more than 80mm of travel, then new(er). And if starting with just a frame, not all that easy to get a good, short travel, decent-nick fork.

That said, 300 quid will get you a rather nice retro, a mediocre modern.

cheers man, to be honest 80mm would be fine (I think the RS Duke XC on my current bike are 80-100mm).

I remember the RS Indy s on my former cycle were nice.
So no modern fork has that sort of travel? (80mm) ? And is that where the problem lies - matching a fork to a retro frame?

Any ideas or suggestions as to what i could go for? re. retro bikes alternatives to the RSP/Mtrax and advice on the On One Inbred model I mentioned?

"So no modern fork has that sort of travel? (80mm) ? "

I exagerated a bit - but very few except at much money and with disc-only mounts.

Lurk around here and you'll soon get an idea of what's available and for how much.
Modern steel frames are heavy and usually have discs, which are a magnet for tealeaves.
For £300 you'll get a top of the range retro Kona or Orange, or a very nice not so well known bike.
Be warned though; you'll probably not settle for just the one...

:) Thanks guys, I reckon a retro bike it will be for sure. I don't fancy weght, and I am happy with normal brakes rather than discs.
I don't really fancy Made in Taiwan, regardless of how well made it is - though I'm pretty open minded (depending on value)
I'd rather made in England or USA/Canada though.

Orange Clockwork or P7? Any good? I remember em from back in the 90ies.

I'll be lurking!! As I'm getting back into things!
To be honest, I find modern bikes ugly, the forks are huge, the frames are chunky and they lack the elegance bikes of yore had.

Ever since I bought my present bike back in 2003 or something, I lost interest, but this site and nostalgia has whetted my apetite.

Any bike suggestions in my budget and preference type would be most appreciated!

Classic, I spent a while looking at it and admiring it - needs some TLC, but the colour isn't to everyones taste. I was looking at something more mid 90ies in style, and with a threadless ahead set.

I got a race ready Orange P7 weighing 22lbs from a fellow member for under £250 :shock: No suspension, but a truly excellent bike.

There are plenty of steel retro bikes to suit your budget, and if you try a wanted advert, you may even get an Mtrax. The 853's are pretty rare, but they are about.

Back