A modern Reynolds 753?

Yes I know and knew as I was typing should of added silver to my comment on brass, I would be v surprised even at silvers lower melting point to find a framebuilder happy to reheat a 753,i just think there's enough choice of builders and tubing to have a modern custum job made which would be lovely to see,the talk of getting a craftsman to dismantle something reflects a lack of respect for their time,they never were able to charge correctly in steels heyday,i think modern prices perfectly reflect what goes into a frame which is a lot more than just some tubes anyone can buy

Re:

I have 2 753s, both made by Peugeot, and with chromed forks and wheel stay, both 58cm. The frames weigh 1747g and 1797g respectively, stripped, and the forks 669g and 695g. I also have an unusual Gazelle 731 with stainless steel forks and stays, weighing 1880g and 695g. One of the 753s is my every day bike, happy to do 20 or 100 miles, seems pretty bombproof to me, chrome unmarked. One of those bikes that people want to pick up, then turn to you with a bemused smile because it is as light as it's reputation ... I've built up the Gazelle with DA 7400 / 2 / 3 groupset and wheels, pleased with the results but not allowed out on the roads yet.

Don't think there's anything lighter than 753 but possibly less vulnerable tube sets out there now. If I had the money would go for something in stainless steel but I find it nearly impossible to resist the lure of older steel. Here's a picture of two my frames, not great, but shows the shiny bits.

Attachments

• 753 and 731.jpg
    753 and 731.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 497
Re: Re:

rusty bodie":134w83q7 said:
btw does anyone know the published weight of the reynolds 653 tube set?

I happened to weight several frames on a digital scale and kept note...

My late 80's lugged 653 Joe Waugh from a few years ago weighed 1886g for frame and 665g for the forks. It was a 53cm c-t.

My recent lugged Bob Jackson 631 (replaced 653) weighs 2090g for the frame and 694g for the forks, but it is oversized tubing and a size 55cm c-t.

My '93 Graham Weigh 753 weighed 1761g for the frame and 647g for the forks (54.5cm c-t).

Re: Re:

Chat Noir":23f8zrx2 said:
Don't think there's anything lighter than 753 but possibly less vulnerable tube sets out there now. If I had the money would go for something in stainless steel but I find it nearly impossible to resist the lure of older steel. Here's a picture of two my frames, not great, but shows the shiny bits.

I had a early 2000's Olmo Scatto made from Deda EOM 16.5 and that was stupidly light steel. Something like 1540g. I was scared of crippling it when hitting pot holes. Litreally the down tube felt like a coke can in the middle, like you could squash it with your bare hands.

Re:

great to see the good old mass produced peugeot in all it's chromed glory!! :shock:

i wonder how many broken 753s the dealers got back - probably none !!

:cool:

Re:

The beauty of 853 is that it hardens when welded, allowing shorter butts and thinner walls without losing strength - to build it with lugs kinda misses the point I think. It does ride like black magic though, I'm utterly smitten with the stuff!

The stainless tubes, 953 at least, are a nightmare to work with I believe - at first Reynolds were only allowing a couple of top titanium builders to work with them! That's what I heard anyway... ;)

As a previous poster said, the stiffness of 725 is the same as their other grades at 207 GPa but the strength is higher in something like 953 or 853. So you could build a same strength frame in 953 and it would be lighter because the stronger steel would allow you to use thinner tubes, but the trade-off is that it would not be as stiff.

531 is a cold-formed alloy of steel with molybdenum and no heat treating. 753 is a heat treated version of 531, where the heat treating adds strength and stiffness. Without seeing the alloy content, it looks very much like 725 is the modern equivalent of 753 with 525 being the modern equivalent of 531.

Jonny69":awu2iv05 said:
753 is a heat treated version of 531, where the heat treating adds strength and stiffness.
Again, strength, but not stiffness. The elasticity of the material isn't changed by the heat treatment, but its strength is, allowing lighter, thinner-walled (and hence more flexible) tubes to be used.

There's quite a good article here about the difference between strength and stiffness in the context of bike frames and 753:

https://janheine.wordpress.com/2011/10/ ... stiffness/

Back