A modern Reynolds 753?

I think it may be because things have moved on and there is no longer a 'tube set' like there was BITD. Now builders have an array of tube diameters, butting profiles etc that they can choose depending on the build.

Re:

so, in essence, it's a case of mix and match by the framebuilder these days?

btw does anyone know the published weight of the reynolds 653 tube set?

Re: Re:

rusty bodie":3rfqypok said:
i can't find a damned bit of evidence to support my worries that 725 is shyte, but doesn't the table on page 3 of the reynolds document make you think that it's only a step away from shopping trolley material?!

Apart from the UTS and stiffness being higher than 753 or 631 (see the bar chart on page 4), plus being available in thin wall sizes (IIRC some even thinner than 753). :cool: While it starts off as 4130 steel, the whole point is that it is heat-treated giving it the extra stiffness. 753 is simply heat treated 531.

Why do you even care about the weight?
If you wanted a light frame you'd get carbon.

The vast majority of a bikes weight is nothing to do with the frame. It's what you build it up with.

Re:

oh dear . . . :roll:

the whole point is that i want to replicate this la vie claire 753 as closely as i can and seeing as i can't get a 753 tubeset for love nor money, i'm going to have to find an alternative. i don't want to end up with something that weighs more than it has to, especially when it looks like it's going to cost the best part of a grand - mutton dressed as lamb etc etc!

so, in short, i want it to be as close to the real thing as possible.

i thank you!

:D

Re:

Are you going to get Cyfac to build it? I think they built some of those frames for TDF teams.

Re:

I think the "problem" is that Reynolds make tubing for a wide variety of applications, whereas Columbus only make tubing for bicycles. So, Columbus produce distinct tube sets, even though you usually have a few options for each tube - the down tubes are usually available in a number of profiles, for example.

The name of the Columbus tubing (Life, Spirit, Max, etc.) describes all of the steel alloy, the tube gauge / thickness, butting profile and tube profiles as a set, whereas the number for Reynolds describes only the steel alloy. You then have to hunt through the (confusing) tubing chart to find the gauge and butt you want. Any profiling has to then be performed on a mandrel (I think - I'm not an expert!)

I think I'd only buy a frame with a Columbus tube set nowadays. That way you can be sure of exactly what you are getting as you can look it up on the Columbus web site.

Re: Re:

bikenrrd":3gtq4ybc said:
You then have to hunt through the (confusing) tubing chart to find the gauge and butt you want. Any profiling has to then be performed on a mandrel (I think - I'm not an expert!)
That's why you pay a framebuilder a thousand pounds for a few hundred poundsworth of steel tubes.

Back