A how to sell question

MCsanandreas

Mountain Cycle Fan
Feedback
View
A frame only or a built-up bike? Which sells better/easier? I have enough bits to build a bike and already have plenty of other bikes. So, sell the frame and bits on their own or build something just to sell? Of course if I build it I may just decide to keep it!

Re:

Ordinarily I'd say sell separately as parts, especially if the parts are desirable for other people's builds. If it's a period correct original bike then it's better off sold as a complete bike :D

Re: Re:

LDP":1uxw0fy3 said:
Ordinarily I'd say sell separately as parts, especially if the parts are desirable for other people's builds. If it's a period correct original bike then it's better off sold as a complete bike :D

Not a period correct original bike I think, the frame and parts are round about the same vintage but I am not sure. Maybe I will build and ride then decide!

What LDP said. You might make more money selling the frame and parts separate, but it will be more of a hassle dealing with different buyers, getting the money and the worst part of all: many trips to the postal office. I hate dealing with the postal office!

I must admit I had the same dilemma recently as had some nice stuff to sell and it made up a full bike. I thought about selling separately but built the bike up a bit to see how it looked, after that I decided to sell it as a chassis and drive train but ended up adding wheels, tyres and the rest as a whole bike.

The parts were probably worth the value of the whole bike (excluding frame and forks) if sold on their own, but I did clear a big space in the garage, only had to send 1 box (albeit a big one) and hopefully there is one happy customer who received it (today according to tracking).

Sure I could have made a few more pounds, but in this case selling the bike meant more to me than the £.

Frames are always a blank canvass for the new owner so are often more attractive.

Built up bikes usually sell for far less as they are rarely exactly what a buyer is looking for.

Re:

Cheers for the answers, all good points I think. Hhmm......I think I will build and see how it goes. There is always room for one more bike?

Re:

Really really depends if the quality of the frame and parts.

Low end (STX RC and down I'd say) bits are a bugger to shift if they shift at all but people always need whole bikes.

If they're high end people will likely be on a long term quest to track down specific bits so don't want a whole set up...

^ this. There's virtually no price difference between loose unassembled tat vs assembled purposeful tat.

Back