A French Classic : 1977 RH 753 - Christmas pics p5

Re: Re:

legrandefromage":1cckg8ec said:
Love this bike!

me too !

latest info
I have been trying to have a Herse stem replicated as the original one is longish for my "limited height"

Well I managed to have a computer file done by an engineer to try to have a small shop feed it into a CNC machine.

Well that is for the moment clearly unsuccessful. Impossible to find a shop who would take such a small order !

Grand Bois has manufactured some in Japan and seem it can be ordered but it is about as expensive as the few models that comme up on ebay very rarely - north of 5 to 600 euros) ! And I have not made the "jump".

Re:

Truly a craftsman-built bike. I love RH’s work and their ‘blank page’ approach to details and problem solving.
Well done for saving this bike. I have read from a reliable source (I wish I could recall where) that for a few years 753 wasn’t produced with chainstays that were long enough for touring bikes but this frame disproves that, although, without wishing to downplay what you have, the substitution of 531 stays wouldn’t make any real practical difference but it’s certainly not what I would I would expect from such a revered company. I wonder then what the true story is about 753 touring tubes?

Re: Re:

peetee":2x0y3uuq said:
Truly a craftsman-built bike. I love RH’s work and their ‘blank page’ approach to details and problem solving.
Well done for saving this bike. I have read from a reliable source (I wish I could recall where) that for a few years 753 wasn’t produced with chainstays that were long enough for touring bikes but this frame disproves that, although, without wishing to downplay what you have, the substitution of 531 stays wouldn’t make any real practical difference but it’s certainly not what I would I would expect from such a revered company. I wonder then what the true story is about 753 touring tubes?
This is nearly a "racing bike" ;-) or a randonneuse légère.
Will try to measure the chainstays but they do not seem longish to me.

Are the wheels 650b? I'm pretty obsessed with Randonneur bikes, and the work of Herse, Routens and so on. All Terrain bikes long before the modern era.

Tommy27":zo2lkjh4 said:
Are the wheels 650b? I'm pretty obsessed with Randonneur bikes, and the work of Herse, Routens and so on. All Terrain bikes long before the modern era.
No - 700C - with tubulars so this was more of a "daily" randonneuse légère that was used in the French alps by my great uncle. I recall that his wife used to do the same trip but in a Citroen DS ( probably to give him a ride home) !

Back