A French Classic : 1977 RH 753 - Christmas pics p5

Re: A French Classic : 1977 RH 753

niyce..box lining but not to lug line . :xmas-cool:
i see what you mean about some brackets to hold the torch to the side of the rack
rigidly tightly. a kind of hinged or 'sprung in' circle trayx2 with a clasp type fastenings on the side.
enough details on the torch to prevent it sliding.or do you fix something 2x directly to the torch body
something like on the back of tape measures

Re:

My Christmas present to you retrobikers :idea:

The Rene Herse from 1977 in Reynolds 753 in full clothes ( nearly all, the front torch is still exspecting some chromed collars from the USA ! )

Herse was really an artist - this bike is in this guise 9.960 kg - so below ten kg ( the tubulars are actually a bit heavier than the ones I took off) ! :shock:

back from oblivion after 30 years in a french barn near Blois , after having lived most of its life in the the French Alps in Grenoble.

I promissed you a few details about its owner.

It was actually the brother of my Grand Mother , my great Uncle. A very elegant gentleman born in 1904.

He was from the time where passion for bikes was strong , first because they were hardly any cars, but also because it was mixing at the same time, sport, tourism, open air.

Its very interesting to read the book of Jan Heine about Herse and its fans. They were coming from all social backgrounds, but united by this passion.

My Great Uncle was an Engineer from one of the top french engineering school and spent a lot of time on bikes for leisure, sport or transportation.

In 1939, he had already ridden 75000 km since 1923 - nothing bad :shock:

One amusing anecdote is that in 1944, he actually rode from Paris to Grenoble starting from the Champs Elysees in Paris on the 6th of June - the day of Overlord ! He crossed France for 5 days during that extraordinary time.

The work I have done to revive this bike is a tribute to him and its memory . :idea:

Happy Christmas to all

Unfortunately, weather in Paris is poor, its drizzling so pics are not great :roll:
I will shoot better ones and close ups when time and weather permits :idea:

Re:

Better pics and new saddle tuning - the frame was planned for little seatpost "exit" with long fork tube and seattube

Re:

Absolutely stunning. I'm in love with this bike!

a really great thread this, the background insight and information have been a treat to read. Many thank's for sharing. You've done your Great Uncle proud. :)

..Can we have a ride report please?

Re:

Having received my torch collars, I thought it would be it
well, nope :shock:

the threading on my front rack are not in the usual M6
they are probably with a 0.75 mm or 0.80 thread height ( you measure in turn per inches, we measure in mm)
so not 10 turn per 1cm but more :facepalm:

and in my old "ironmongery" stock can't find anything , and not in the shops too :roll: and I don't want to alter the Herse rack so will have to find an elegant way out with BTR of the right threading :LOL:

Re:

rene-herse-commuter-6.jpg

That thick gnarled "top nut" on the Rene Herse stem is no aesthetic error. The design makes it much easier and quicker to operate. Especially when in the cold or wet weather.
/ It's an integrated light switch. The best light switch ever made.

A truly beautiful machine that you have brought back to use. Its a brilliant story to it, as well as a a great peice of family history.
This thread and machine just keeps getting better and better with each update.
keep them coming and thanks for sharing this wonderful machine.

Jamie

Back