A&D

Gunscrossed":2xt972y2 said:
Interesting, I'd like to hear more about the history behind these frames.
A few links here about our 'local' master, The first link has several replies from friends of Pongo...

http://www.the5thfloor.co.uk/2010/07/25/aende-bikes/
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stu_collin ... aende.html

Midlife":2xt972y2 said:
Chopped, slotted and drilled more bits of frame than anyone else.
Your right about that Shaun but sometimes Pongo did go mad and many of his frames broke at the bottom bracket due to him leaving out the stay brace.

After Pongo had drilled out many bits to make his frames lighter it didn't really do any saving as the holes had to be slightly filled with brass.

I used to see many Aende frames hanging up in the old A&C sports bike shop which were not forsale but to go back to Pongo for repair. :roll:

I miss these sort of classic frame builders and many are not passing their skills down in the family or to the next wannabe.

Ian.

Hi Ian

Never knew they broke :(

Have to say back in the 70's frames never seemed to break, even from the factories. Most people front ended them or ran into a high kerb they thought they could "hop" and bent the forks......

Even tumbles in sprints and not quite making a corner in a Kermesse usually meant missing skin and bent superchampion rims rather than the frames going !!

Shaun

Midlife":glryy7xu said:
Hi Ian.Never knew they broke :( Shaun

I reckon sometimes Pongo used to go mad with the file on many lugs to make them wafer thin.

Many years ago I looked at one of his frames and the BB shell was drilled to death for a TT maniac
this resulted in the actual whole BB shell failing on the seat tube and down tube BB joints. :oops:

I'd still buy one :)

Memory plays tricks but I remember looking at an Aende frame where the head tube had been slotted and so had the steerer so you could see through it, the slots covered with x-ray film..could have been at a TT event or something like a Chicken rep bringing in their stuff attached to a frame which made you want to buy it :)

Shaun

Back